Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Taking care of localization (and other app development questions)

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
1. If you have so much text to display, maybe you should consider having views that are language specific. Then, just load the view for that language. One problem with this approach would be that if you update your design, you'd have to update multiple views. But, it might help you solve your problem for other reasons. Storing the info in a DB might not be a bad idea, especially if you are caching the pages.

2. Years ago, I saw many hosts that only allowed 1 database per account. It was very common that applications would have a table prefix (some still do) so your table names wouldn't clash with other applications' table names. Most hosts now provide plenty of databases. If your building an in-house app, this probably isn't a problem either. I would recommend hard-coding the table names. In the highly unlikely chance that you do need to rename, you can always do a search/replace.

3. If your js code is all inside functions, then you can easily put them together and load one file on every page (it only gets downloaded to the client once). Then, adapt your code to call the functions as needed. Example. One view has a function call but another view does not.

4. I agree with you. No reason a model can't have a library that accesses the database.

Good luck with your project.

Messages In This Thread
Taking care of localization (and other app development questions) - by El Forum - 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB