Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Begining CI / Frameworks in General

[eluser]Aea[/eluser]
I'm a fairly new PHP coder who began learning PHP to use on personal sites, I had a CMS on my website so I had a "framework" already for me to develop on.

Right now I'm building a few websites from the ground up and decided to use a framework to make it simple. I never used OOP programming before (somebody point me to a good tutorial that explains why I need it, and not how I'm supposed to use it), but I'm pretty open-minded and quite willing to make this work.

I narrowed my experimenting down to ZF & CI, after getting confused on the reasoning behind controllers in ZF, I tried CI which explained not only how they work, but why the front-loader was even necessary. I must say I'm a bit worried since even CI seems quite complex in the settings it offers (but ultimately I'm sure I'll understand this shortly).

I'm currently at the very first part of the user guide, General Topics -> Controllers. I can't get the blog.php controller working, and the error I'm having is fairly strange. I just get an empty 36B HTML page sent. I tried accessing the welcome message (worked fine), and I managed to get the blog.php controller somewhat working by putting...

Code:
$this->load->view('welcome_message');

... into the index function. This is more of a workaround to confirm that the basic framework is working, but I'm still curious as to why it won't perform my echo statement as seen in the guide.

Incidentally I tried adding...

Code:
function Blog()
    {
        parent::Controller();    
    }

... but this seems redundant and doesn't really do anything.

Any help would be appreciated :blank:

Messages In This Thread
Begining CI / Frameworks in General - by El Forum - 07-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Begining CI / Frameworks in General - by El Forum - 07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Begining CI / Frameworks in General - by El Forum - 07-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Begining CI / Frameworks in General - by El Forum - 07-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Begining CI / Frameworks in General - by El Forum - 07-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Begining CI / Frameworks in General - by El Forum - 07-04-2007, 06:37 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB