Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else

[eluser]LovinItAll[/eluser]
Hi,

Okay, I expect to get slammed a little, but I'm a big boy and can take it.

I've been writing procedural PHP for years, and I have a long (non-OO) programming background. Without discussing the merits (or demerits) of my intentional avoidance of OOP in general (principally due to large libraries I've developed and the relatively small nature of the projects I take on, coupled with the fact that there are never more than two developers working on the same project at the same time), I find myself in a dillema:

- I have a VERY large project that I must begin working on immediately (as in I need to start writing code today and assigning portions of the project to other developers now)
- There will be a minimum of 4 developers working on the project simulataneously, and 6-8 is not out of the question. Unlike previous projects, there will be a design team to content with, as well.

Even though I have my own version of MVC implemeted using my prehistoric procedural methods, it is not documented in a way that can be easily understood by someone totally new to 'my world', hence my quest to find something that:

- Has a relatively flat learning curve
- That is well documented and has a decent community of users to scavenge help when I need it (please consider 'scavenge' a term of endearment Smile
- Will perorm well against a large user base that is constantly hammering away via HTTP at my DB's (I have no problem throwing hardware horspower to make up for any inherent performance issues if said HP will overcome the performance issues themselves)

Which brings me to my long-winded question:

- I've looked at Yii and the performance benefits it touts due to it's native support of PHP5 and no backward compatibility issues. I find it oh-so-non-intuitive.
- I've looked at CI and grasp the OO model and it's MVC structure almost immediately

Am I really giving up serious performance using CI v GOOD procedural techniques? If it's a given (and I'm not saying it is) that Yii simply hauls ass, is it really worth me going bald trying to figure it out?

I've looked at benchmarks various users have published, and most point to GOOD procedural MVC paradigms outperforming OO frameworks by a large margin. Someone convince me it ain't so!

I've been going back and forth over these issues for days, and I can't waste anymore time. Had I just handed out assignments last week and said, "Go procedural - here are my libraries, figure them out", I'd be well into the project by now (I have a great prototype/wireframe).

Your comments would be well appreciated. Dunk me for not OO'ing it a long time ago if you want - it really doesn't matter. I am where I am, if that makes sense.

(Man, I hope some of you guys are up at 6 A.M.)

Thanks.....

Messages In This Thread
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 05:11 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 05:24 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 05:28 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 05:54 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 08:34 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-24-2009, 09:33 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-25-2009, 02:56 AM
CI v Yii v Procedural v Whatever Else - by El Forum - 09-25-2009, 03:09 AM