Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Using CI with PHPTAL

[eluser]Clowerweb[/eluser]
Hello,

I'd like to start off by pointing out that I have already read the thread located at http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/62886/ regarding PHPTAL integration with CI. The problem is that the thread is quite old, and it seems as though some things have changed either with CI or PHPTAL or both, as I could not get what is described there to work.

If anyone could provide me with some useful insight as to getting PHPTAL working with CI, that would be excellent. My current attempted integration:

1.) system/application/libraries - created tal.php as described in the above linked thread, with the copied code.

2.) system/application/config/autoload.php contains the following:
Code:
$autoload['libraries'] = array('database', 'tal');

3.) system/application/controllers/test.php contains the following:
Code:
<?php
    class Test extends Controller {
        public function test() {
            parent::Controller();

$this->load->helper(array('url', 'form'));
        }

public function index() {
                        $news = $this->news->display();
                        $this->tal->title = 'Just another blog...';
                        $this->tal->news  = $news;
                        $this->tal->display('index.html');
                }
        }

This is the example as defined in the above referenced post.

The error I am getting is:
Code:
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Filename: controllers/blog.php

Line Number: 13

Fatal error: Call to a member function display() on a non-object in C:\wamp\www\ci\system\application\controllers\blog.php on line 13

I am of course assuming this means that display() is no longer a valid method in CI.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance - I only just began exploring CI 3 days ago, and I am also somewhat new to PHP programming in general, though I do have a thorough understanding of basic PHP/ MySQL, and basic understanding of OOP concepts. I am NOT an experienced or highly knowledgeable programmer, however. My background is mainly in graphic design, (X)HTML/ CSS, design integration with various PHP based content management/ ecommerce systems like Magento, Zen Cart, Drupal, Wordpress, etc., and using JavaScript libraries like jQuery.

I am exploring CodeIgniter as a tool to help me accomplish CRUD tasks without needing to spend a ton of time learning the nitty-gritty of programming, though I do of course understand that at least SOME programming is involved in using it. A templating parser such as PHPTAL would be the icing on the cake for a design-oriented person such as myself, where I spend much of my time living in tag land.

Enough rambling Wink

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please bear in mind that I am very much a layman. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I just noticed that it was trying to load my blog.php file which I created while following the CI tutorials, however eliminating that page produced the same result (replace blog.php and class Blog with test.php and class Test in the above error).

Messages In This Thread
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 10-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 10-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 10-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 07-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Using CI with PHPTAL - by El Forum - 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB