Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
User Subdomains with only one CI core

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
Hi @dan.tdr,

To chime in, I agree that if you have a finite amount of subdomains (2-10 let's say) multiple application folders make sense (also, putting the apache roots outside of the application is a good security idea any day.)

However, if your subdomains are infinite (you said you knew about DNS wildcards so I assumed you might have infinite subdomains) a single application approach similar to Phil's post is the best. Yes, it does focus on different databases for different subdomains, but it also shows how you can set your base_url dynamically (which you would need to do with infinite subdomains) and the switch statement isn't a bad idea to set a global constant that dictates which subdomain is being referenced. Not the whole picture, but some good ideas to base your application on.

I was hoping to inspire you to ask more specific questions about this. Many of us here have done this before. You asked for an example, but there are so many. And you, yourself, admitted you had looked at them all. So, if you're still reading this post, tell us what you are trying to accomplish at least if you haven't got it figured yet. Really, I like to answer questions here. I just have a hard time with, "show me the code!" requests.

Messages In This Thread
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 08-30-2010, 03:21 PM
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 09-02-2010, 12:31 AM
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM
User Subdomains with only one CI core - by El Forum - 09-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB