Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
SEO-friendly URL's

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
[quote author="jplanet" date="1192874821"]To do this I would have to enforce a rule that every product and category must have a unique value in the static_file field. Then every URL request would run a query to see which table contains the value, and delegate to the applicable function.[/quote]

I believe that Jim assumption about SEO is correct. It's also an assumption on my part but makes logical sense.

You could store your category/subcategory and product content in one table and manage the hierarchies in a separate table using the nested sets model or the adjacency list model. Just use a join to handle the table relationships. For example:

Content columns:

Quote:id
static_name
name
short_description
long_description
created
created_by
modified
modified_by

Nested set table columns:

content_id
nleft
nright

Thunder UK has posted a model on the wiki for handling nested sets. The categories example included with the contribution probably could be used as a starting point for your own hierarchies.

Adjacency List columns:

content_id
parent_id

I believe thatthere are multiple posts about using the Adjacency List model (recursion) on the forum but no wiki article that I am aware of.

The combination of id and content_id creates a unique relationship in your hierarchies. Thus, you can handle many-to-many category/product relationships in your queries.

Messages In This Thread
SEO-friendly URL's - by El Forum - 10-19-2007, 11:07 PM
SEO-friendly URL's - by El Forum - 10-20-2007, 01:14 AM
SEO-friendly URL's - by El Forum - 10-20-2007, 07:58 AM
SEO-friendly URL's - by El Forum - 10-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB