Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Sparks and Pear Libraries?

[eluser]Calvin Froedge[/eluser]
I'm creating sparks for payments. I've made 2 already (not submitted) just playing around, but neither really meet my needs. One is built off someone else's buggy codebase that I don't care to debug, the other is gonna be a ton of work. I found a *beautiful* payments library at PEAR, and I want to build my spark on top of that:

http://pear.php.net/package/Payment_Process2/

The only challenge is that this PEAR library also has several other dependencies which are also pear libraries (Validate.php, PEAR.php itself, and a few others, which are included from Validate and PEAR.php). The CI Wiki suggests placing PEAR libaries in /application/pear:

http://codeigniter.com/wiki/PEAR_integration/

If I just wanted to include these pear libraries in my personal project, I'd include them there, just as the wiki suggests.

However, since this is a spark, that approach presents some challenges:

1. If I require the user to create /application/pear himself, and include the necessary libraries, I'm requiring them to do a bunch of extra shit just to get my spark working.
2. The whole point of sparks are that they are *packages.* Now packages can certainly have dependencies, but in sparks, the dependencies are for other sparks - not extraneous other libraries.

My solutions:

1. Break from what the wiki suggests and include the needed PEAR libraries within my spark.
2. Create a check for the needed libraries within the spark, and throw errors along with with some helpful instructions if libraries do not exist.
3. Attempt to create /application/pear from the spark, and download the necessary libraries with curl or some shit.

#1 definitely seems the preferred route, but #2 is a possibility as well because hey - what if OTHER sparks are also using pear libraries? What if the CI user has already created a directory with pear libraries? Now we've got duplicate code.

I'd appreciate some input. Regardless, I'm taking one of these directions tomorrow morning so I can put this to rest = )

Messages In This Thread
Sparks and Pear Libraries? - by El Forum - 07-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Sparks and Pear Libraries? - by El Forum - 07-06-2011, 01:11 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB