Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Case and conditional statements in Active Record

[eluser]vinofilus[/eluser]
Question: Can I use several CASE and IF statements with Active Record, or should I just go back to loading the sql?

My example:
I'm creating a sort of master temporary table in my model from which I'll manipulate the data in the controller. I have created a query that does what I want in sql, which looks something like this. The relevant stuff is just in the first few lines.
Code:
select S.first_name, S.last_name,  C.classif_name, R.rule_name, J.start_date, G.completion_date, R.ruleid,
CASE
WHEN R.ruleid=3 THEN IF(DATEDIFF(curdate(),G.completion_date) < 365,'within 1 year','FLAG more then 1 year')
WHEN R.ruleid=5 THEN IF(DATEDIFF(curdate(),G.completion_date) < 1095 ,'within 3 years','FLAG more than 3 years')
END AS 'FLAG'
from
    Staff as S
        join Classifications as C
        join Staff_Classif as J
        join Programs as P
        join Prog_Classif as K
        join Rules as R
   etc., etc.,
where
    C.classifid = J.classif_id
        and S.staffid = J.staff_id
        and P.progid = K.prog_id
        and C.classifid = K.classif_id
   etc., etc.,

I can get this query to work fine (doing it in mysql workbench), but when I try to convert to active record in my CI model, the CASE and IF parts throw me off.
I have all the selects and joins working (here's an excerpt of the first few lines):
Code:
$this->db->select('S.first_name, S.last_name, C.classif_name, N.address, P.prog_name, P.short_name, R.rule_name, J.start_date, G.completion_date, R.ruleid')
  ->from ('Staff as S')
  ->join ('Staff_Classif as J', 'S.staffid = J.staff_id')
  ->join ('Classifications as C', 'C.classifid = J.classif_id')
  ->join ('Prog_Classif as K', 'classifid = K.classif_id' )
   etc., etc., etc.,
But any attempt at adding even a single CASE into that just fails.

I did try something like:
Code:
$this->db->select('S.first_name, S.last_name, C.classif_name, N.address, P.prog_name, P.short_name, R.rule_name, J.start_date, G.completion_date, R.ruleid, CASE WHEN R.ruleid=3 THEN R.ruleid ELSE null', FALSE)
as an experiment, but I don't even appear to be close with that.

Is there a way to do this using Active Record?
Is that even wise? Should I just load in the sql and run it?
I have about 15 or more rules/cases that I need to check in addition to the 2 examples above.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Case and conditional statements in Active Record - by El Forum - 11-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Case and conditional statements in Active Record - by El Forum - 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Case and conditional statements in Active Record - by El Forum - 11-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Case and conditional statements in Active Record - by El Forum - 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Case and conditional statements in Active Record - by El Forum - 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB