Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
looking for a laptop with ubuntu pre-installed

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2019, 04:08 PM by richb201.)

well, I have been using the xps13 for the last 25 days. I have reinstalled ubuntu and the other parts at least 5 times. The problem has been that I need to have php 5.6 on the PC and the install of PHP 5.6 changes the document root. This also breaks mysql. For a while I thought it was android studio that was the cause but since yesterday I installed the parts 1) ubuntu 2) android studio 3) bitnami LAMP 4) phpStorm 5) PHP 5.6, slowly, tesing each as it was installed.  I tested for operation between each install and it seems that it is the PHP 5.6 install that breaks things. There were other small things such the bluetooth on the PC (control the mouse) breaking after one install, mySQL root no longer working, etc. So I have had it. I was thinking I could install bitnami LAMP in a virtual box but that it what I am trying to get away from : remote debugging.

So I am going to return this PC back to Dell and order a high powered Windows laptop (with a screen big enough for me to see). I'd prefer to stick with Dell. Can you guys recommend a current Windows laptop to use? I need to do some mods to the PHP based server code and also am working on a Android app wuth React Native.
proof that an old dog can learn new tricks

Messages In This Thread
RE: looking for a laptop with ubuntu pre-installed - by richb201 - 02-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB