Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Access Forbidden to Public on shared hosting

First time using.  Tried to install on shared hosting account and getting error "Access Forbidden You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected." Error 403

In the Cpanel i set up the root to redirect to mainsite/public.    so going to the mainsite redirects to the public subdir.  Is this the right way to do that, as I don't see in the CPanel how else to redirect the root to be public.  
If i rename (disable) the .htaccess file that's in Public,   I get the CI4 welcome screen.    But, am not able to get the example  Pages  to work.  

With the .htaccess enabled the site's Error Log says:

[Fri Jun 19 00:29:01 2020] [error] AH00670: Options FollowSymLinks and SymLinksIfOwnerMatch are both off, so the RewriteRule directive is also forbidden due to its similar ability to circumvent directory restrictions : /services/users/zstorage6p1/shyam/www/jacksonville-shuttersblindsandmore.com/public/

I have contacted the hosting admin and he said that for security reasons they won't enable SymLinks.  So, does that mean that CI4 will not work on this hosting account?    They offer an auto install for CI3,  but,   if i am going to learn and use a Framework (this is my first attempt at it), i might as well go with the current version.  

BTW, I originally tried to set up and use Laravel, but, gave up because of setup issues...   Basically the hosting site recommended we get a KVM site.   Right now, I just want to make a test program  web app   of what i want and am trying to work with what i've got.  I've been with this hosting company and had this account for over 15 years and have created a 3D interactive site using three.js.  And We've got WP sites, and a commerce site,   so far everything has been fine,     but having a hard time with FrameWork installs.

Messages In This Thread
Access Forbidden to Public on shared hosting - by jdb108 - 06-18-2020, 05:57 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB