Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI User Guide question

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1253232712"]Just make things easy on me. If you give me a list that will take 10 hours to implement, then none of it will get implemented - I assure you I'm just as busy as you are Smile[/quote]

Then maybe I shouldn't send it LOL. I'm sure your probably busier than I am.. remember, I'm the person that has the time to sit here and nitpick the documentation..

Some of the main things that I am listing are some pages missing the Function Reference area at the bottom, and then within there, the functions that are listed, not listing the parameters within the heading for a quick overview of the function. Many of them just show the function name and don't show the parameters in the heading and the user's have to pick through the documentation of the function to find how many there are, and what they are. Wouldn't be as big a problem if all the functions were done that way.. but by doing a good many of them, you spoiled us Smile

Just take what I send you, and do a little bit at a time ha

Email sent. Let the hatred begin. Smile

[eluser]NateL[/eluser]
If there's one thing I would love to see, that would be user-submitted examples - just like you'd see in the PHP manual.

The examples that are provided by CodeIgniter are a great start, but what if you could continue reading user-submitted examples for real-world applications?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Derek, perhaps some guidelines might be handy here. I know you're busy, but there's at least two people here, at the moment, who'd be happy to work through the manual and standardise the function definitions (for example) for you. I'd be happy to a bunch of pages, and provide diff patches - assuming that's easy enough for you to push back into svn - and I'm confident jdfwarrior would be equally happy with, and adept at, using those same tools too.

The very fact that some pages contain function definitions that list each of the parameters suggests that it's an option at least one of you guys likes the look of.

So, if you give the nod there, I'm sure we'd be willing to do the actual footwork, as it were. What a deal, eh?!

For my own part, I found generating the patches very easy, just using the github hosted replica of your current svn as my base.

But, to return the guidelines subject -- since it aligns nicely with jdfwarrior's point about consistency -- this seems like a good forum to ask, dare I say discuss, your / EL's preferences here, so we know what kind of patches are (not) worth submitting.

I'll start the ball rolling with this one.

'This example code produces this output...' -- about half the time, this is done within the same [ code ] tags that the actual code is, and sits next to a // comment. The other half of the time it's in the following paragraph and in a normal font. The obvious question -- is it worth my time to generate a patch set of that size and nature?

Consistency was the main thing I preached in the email to Derek. Pages that include a nice, easy to follow structure are the ones I would really like to see take over. Something similar to the FTP Class page. Where you have:

Setting Up The Class:
//show how to load it, how to mess around with it some

Usage Examples:
//examples using the class and some of its functionality

Function Reference:
//list all functions, with available parameters and explanation of parameters and description of the function, as well as what it returns.

I find those pages MUCH easier to read through that some of the others. I mentioned my desire for that layout, and REALLY want the listing of all parameters for each function in the heading as opposed to having to read through the code

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
It sounds like we, at least, are pretty much aligned in intent then.

The fact that no one else has chimed in is .. curious.

I've wondered about an auto-gen'd TOC at the top of each page (or perhaps instead at the start of the Function Reference section) that just lists all the functions (only one line each!) that make up this class/helper.

Probably better at the top of each page - for when you're trying to quickly find the helper/class that has that function you vaguely remember the name of ...

Oh, btw, did you include this one in your list:
Front page / Introduction / CodeIgniter cheatsheets / the two PDF's are labelled'1.7.1' and also include the Cart Class? If not - Derek - can you add that to your list Wink

I only listed 5 things because 2 were the function references sections and the function parameters, and I know those two are a big job in themselves.. I wasn't gonna push my luck Smile

Oh and btw jedd, yes I would be willing to help make the changes and such. That was another thing I mentioned to Derek in the email. I really like the framework, these guys do an awesome job, and said that I would do what I could to help and support them. Said that I'm sure there would be others that would be willing to do the same.

I've actually gone and gotten the User Guide off the SVN and am just looking through some of the pages now. It wouldn't be hard at all to make the changes, it's just time consuming. If Derek and the guys would allow us to make the changes and just submit them for approval, that would be great.

[eluser]developer10[/eluser]
[quote author="NateL" date="1253237027"]If there's one thing I would love to see, that would be user-submitted examples - just like you'd see in the PHP manual.

The examples that are provided by CodeIgniter are a great start, but what if you could continue reading user-submitted examples for real-world applications?[/quote]

i couldn't agree more.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
I think EllisLab should appoint a community member to oversee this, like a CI User Guide Czar. Maybe give them access to some repo with just the UG. Then we can just bug him/her and leave Derek alone Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB