Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
build big complex project with CI? (honest views from experienced devs)

[eluser]johndoe123[/eluser]
i need advices from experienced devs... do u honestly think I can build a big complex project with CI?

the project has lots of things
- multilanguage
- extensive contents (of many different kinds)
- very in-depth search
- the contents should be classified with many attributes(for searching)(e.g. by location,regions,type,etc...)
- and many other small but quite in-depth features....(e.g. an advanced image gallery with all images of the site(e.g. images found in articles etc...))
- frontend and admin(be able to administrate almost everything)

- i wanna know if CI will honestly increase my speed of production?
- how to manage multilanguage?
- i was thinking about doing something like the framework of joomla but don't know
- do u know any good simple way to do a single template to use for every page? (like joomla again)..

I haven't used CI for any projects... actually i used it very little, i just read the docu which seems nice...

and another question, read in many articles complaining that u can't use query string.... is there a way to use it actually? (necessary(or preferable) for search right?)

Edit:
found this fix for querystring (modify config.php)
$config['uri_protocol'] = "PATH_INFO";
$config['enable_query_strings'] = TRUE;

anyone tried it? are there drawbacks using that method? it looks i can use $_GET normally with these configs...(yet many people say that u need to use tricks to use querystrings) but this method is not a trick but just a configuration...

[eluser]Sam Dark[/eluser]
Maybe use Drupal?

[quote author="Sam Dark" date="1216851325"]Maybe use Drupal?[/quote]
on of the requirements for the project is not to use any cms.... but instead build a whole system based on the needs of the project

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
You can use query strings which is why the config setting is there. Set it to true and build your app using urls with query strings.

If you look here http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...input.html there are functions available for working with get data also.

If you do a search for "inktype" on these forums you will find that a very talented developer has created a open source blog using ci that is multilanguage so you can take a gander at that or you can look at another app called bamboo invoice (also open source) also made in ci and also multilanguage.

Then also, you may not know, but in the nearish future Expression Engine will sit atop of Codeigniter. EE is a app that does all those things you want.

So to summise it can do everything you are capable of.

When people ask "but is it really any good for a big app?"

I would like to say "what? is a framework that is really quick and thoroughly documented and not so binding that you can't code anyhow you want any good for a big project? No it's not, most big projects are slow clunking behemoths that are over complicated, poorly documented and slow without employing 20 database experts to build you that db cluster your rubbish code now needs." Codeigniter wont help you make anything like that. Sorry."

[eluser]got 2 doodle[/eluser]
Isn't this the third time this week someone has asked basically the same question.

It's like a pencil

Can you write a best selling novel with a pencil?

:-)

sure you can!

doodle

[eluser]Matthieu Fauveau[/eluser]
[quote author="got 2 doodle" date="1216857980"]Isn't this the third time this week someone has asked basically the same question.

It's like a pencil

Can you write a best selling novel with a pencil?

:-)

sure you can!

doodle[/quote]

Gotta love that answer Smile

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
Yeah pencil, that's what i meant in a really meandering round about way. You were just basically para-phrasing what i said... Wink

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
I'm not sure the pencil metaphor is at all apt, but decent point nonetheless.

http://patterntap.com/ is fully CodeIgnited, if you want to see something on a larger scale.

[eluser]Randy Casburn[/eluser]
Code:
while (I haven’t used CI for any projects)
{

i wanna know if CI will honestly increase my speed of production?

}

[quote author="Randy Casburn" date="1216861199"]
Code:
while (I haven’t used CI for any projects)
{

i wanna know if CI will honestly increase my speed of production?

}
[/quote]

i didn't want to take the risk of starting a project with CI and gets stuck in the middle...(it's a project with a tight deadline) but the framework looks very well documented and the community seems very responsive.. so i think i will give it a try...

thanks for the examples of the sites u posted.. Wink

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB