Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CIMyAdmin v0.3b4 (Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:11PM)

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
This is a small bug caused by the development in a cimyadmin.domain.com environment, instead of a domain.com/cimyadmin environment. The routes are a little messed up. In a matter of minutes, this should be all set Wink Sorry if that got complicated on ya Smile

[eluser]Volte[/eluser]
Hey guys...

So the problem was me not writing all the links in such a way that they work with any base_site url. I've fixed this, and there is a preliminary release out, but I should tie up some loose ends later tomorrow night. Thanks for all your interest! Stick with me and we'll have a stable release out here shortly.

[eluser]Tom Glover[/eluser]
It looks Great, easier to use than PMA. Well done. I hope this project goes far.

[eluser]MrEnirO[/eluser]
Nice work. Hope to see new releases soon.

[eluser]Volte[/eluser]
Hey guys! Just released some bug fixes:

1.0b2.1.8:

Fixed #32 (can't insert field)
Fixed #33 (Can't delete row)
Fixed #39 (delete row redirects to inappropriate url)
Fixed #41 (create field redirects to inappropriate url)
Fixed #40 (cannot delete fields)

Head on over to http://cimyadmin.com for the latest.

[eluser]Volte[/eluser]
[quote author="stuffradio" date="1218189514"]It looks very nice Big Grin[/quote]
Thanks!

[quote author="Colin Williams" date="1218188962"]Gonna play with this tonight. Very cool idea. UI looks nice and clean.[/quote]
Thanks Colin, have you had any luck with it? Feedback greatly appreciated Smile

[quote author="MrEnirO" date="1218290115"]Nice work. Hope to see new releases soon.[/quote]
Thanks MrEnirO. With help from people like you, releases would/will be a lot more frequent. Feel free to email me with bug fixes and or patches, or better yet log them via trac.

[quote author="Tom Glover" date="1218208170"]It looks Great, easier to use than PMA. Well done. I hope this project goes far.[/quote]
Hey Tom, thanks, you to can help me Big Grin

I really do need all the feedback I can get guys, so please don't feel shy posting here, or diving in and throwing bugs/feature requests into trac. I'll be setting up user registration soon, but right now its open to anybody, just put in your handle or email address when filing stuff into trac Smile

I'm really excited about this project, and the supportive response has been even more motivating.

As a final note, if anyone has experience using trac for planning out projects and more specifically, versioning and release, please feel free to chime in. Right now I'm sorta cowboying it while using trac as much as possible; it really adds a lot of structure to the project. I guess my weakest link is in naming my releases and figuring all that out.

For instance, I closed 1.0b2 about a week ago, but then kept finding quite a significant amount of bugs, so, rather than waiting to fix them in 1.0b3, I just put them back into 1.0b2 and opened it up again. Eh, I'm not really sure, but to me that makes sense, seeing as how they sorta prevent 1.0b2 from functioning, and they're not new features (which I think should go into 1.0b3)

Yay! Rambling. Thanks for the support guys. Smile

Cheers,

volte.

[eluser]steel_slasher[/eluser]
awesome first speech! sick theme! I also noticed that a form asking for a SQL query pops up if you have soscript disabling javascript or if javascript is disabled.

I like how you made it using PMA icons making it more legacy friendly.

[eluser]Xeoncross[/eluser]
Other than being faster and AJAXified - how is CIMyAdmin different?
It looks (and acts) like a clone to me...
And it seems like it is missing some features...?

At any rate it is a very cool example of a useful project built on CI. Good job, I know that must have been some work.

Also, have you guys thought about extending CIMyAdmin to support (even just a little) other systems like SQlite or MSSQL?

[eluser]Volte[/eluser]
[quote author="Xeoncross" date="1218508678"]Other than being faster and AJAXified - how is CIMyAdmin different?
It looks (and acts) like a clone to me...
And it seems like it is missing some features...?[/quote]

Hey Xeoncross. There are only so many ways to sail a boat, but no matter how you sail your boat, you want it to be pleasant. How the boat is built is a huge contributing factor to the even-keeled and consistency of the boat and its sailing.

CIMyAdmin (CIMA) is as much a boat as PHPMyAdmin (PMA) is (however to PMA's credit, a bit less complete). The difference (right now) is the potential. The potential the "PMA boat" has been completely shot through various uncontrolled abominations and mutilations as it grew. Take a look at the source code and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can imagine how difficult it must be to develop, maintain and build upon PMA. These issues are only accentuated by its hideous exterior. Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm sure there are quality developers on that team doing the best they can with what they've got.

One of the testiments to my claims is the speed with which I've gotten CIMA up in running in comparison to PMA. Ironically, as I've essentially "re-invented" the wheel, apart from the overarching application, I take to heart the UNIX mantra, that is, efficiency is in simplicity. CIMA aims to leverage (good) technologies that have already been created. For instance, PMA builds its own export database functionality into one of their many many functionally programmed php files. CIMA on the other-hand, taps down into the *NIX operating system and uses the already compiled, fast, native, and tested mysqldump. All that CIMA does is provides a wrapper for that functionality, an interface if you will.

So a clone? Yes functionally. However, structurally, much better DNA, and sure, as you mentioned it is lacking a few features, an obvious byproduct to its immaturity. As the weeks and months progress, and with the added help of a supportive community, CIMA will surely blossom into its full potential.

Quote:At any rate it is a very cool example of a useful project built on CI. Good job, I know that must have been some work.
Thanks! It is rather quite fun with a sensible and sane framework with which to build upon.

Quote:Also, have you guys thought about extending CIMyAdmin to support (even just a little) other systems like SQlite or MSSQL?
Certainly! That's the good news. The bad news, not for a while. Right now CIMA is highly tailored for MySQL, but it is certainly in the plans for abstracting that functionality out. My current plans for that are around version 2.0, but as you can see from the progression of versions, it will be a while before I reach that point. Again, though, with hopefully more and more interest, that will translate into help, and CIMA will really take off.

Cheers!

volte.

[eluser]Xeoncross[/eluser]
[quote author="Volte" date="1218524984"]
Hey Xeoncross. There are only so many ways to sail a boat, but no matter how you sail your boat, you want it to be pleasant. How the boat is built is a huge contributing factor to the even-keeled and consistency of the boat and its sailing...

...Take a look at the source code and you'll see what I'm talking about.
[/quote]

Yes, I dug through the code while posting that. I am very pleased to see how you chose to organize the system. Projects like phpMyAdmin and Wordpress show the signs of poor (or non-existent) OOP and design from the past 5-6 years.

CIMA on the other-hand, taps down into the *NIX operating system and uses the already compiled, fast, native, and tested mysqldump. All that CIMA does is provides a wrapper for that functionality, an interface if you will.
[/quote]

This is the same question I have for people who try to use YAML for storing config files. why not use the C++ level parse_ini() or just store ready-made $config arrays? If there is a low-level function - use it rather than build one in PHP.

Again, though, with hopefully more and more interest, that will translate into help, and CIMA will really take off.
[/quote]

One more thing, to avoid making the same mistake as PMA - make sure to intergrate a "hooks" or "plugins" system into your code. Then people won't have to fight through it if they want to "add" something to your core system.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB