Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Codeigniter caching

[eluser]ehicks727[/eluser]
[quote author="jplanet" date="1219534041"]The site is on Bluehost, which has a rather draconian policy of taking your site offline if it goes above their very limited CPU usage restrictions. So, the site was beautifully coded and running very fast, but the site is fairly high volume, with about 1000 visitors per day, so caching some of the more query-intensive pages helps prevent the site from being taken offline.[/quote]

Hmm.. the obvious solution to that is to switch hosts! If you threaten them that you're leaving because of that reason, maybe they'll work something out for you that if you go over your bandwidth, they'll just charge you a per GB overage (kind of like your cell phone minutes), instead of just cutting your site off. That does seem very draconian.

I use CaroNet and they don't pull crap like that. Of course, I also purchase more bandwidth than what I use and I monitor it to see if I'm getting close.

Regardless, good use for caching, I would think. Might be worth a shot.

[quote author="jplanet" date="1219534041"]I don't think there would be any, but my client's business relies 100% on SEO standing, and has made a big investment in that area. So, if let's say for instance that caching meant that CI sent a redirect header of some sort before rendering the page, that page could fall off of the search engine result pages -- I'm sure that this isn't the case, but it never hurts to be sure...[/quote]

There are other tools for inspecting client/server 'conversations', but I prefer and use WebScarab (http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:...ab_Project). If you use it, grab the self-contained .jar file. You have to install at least a Java runtime to launch it.

What this will do is allow you to see the exact server response codes that your server is sending.

I had an issue like yours, in regards to using the CodeIgniter's redirect() function. I picked it apart using WebScarab, and sure enough, CI sends a legit 301, which is an allowed and acceptable practice, according to Google. Won't hurt your SEO efforts.

Messages In This Thread
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Codeigniter caching - by El Forum - 08-25-2008, 05:27 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB