Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
DataMapper 1.6.0

[eluser]dmyers[/eluser]
Is there any way to use datamapper not using Database Normalization with the Fifth normal form?

Love datamapper but my customer already has there database setup. Adding the extra tables it's going to fly with them.

For example there user table joins to the roles table since each user can only be in 1 role.

they join direct from users to roles using users.role_id -> roles.id.

I noticed you can put in your own queries with $object_model->query($sql); but that kind-a makes datamapper's other great features useless.

Am I missing something or can this just not be done?

Don Myers

[eluser]OverZealous[/eluser]
No, it can not be done with DM as is. That's how DM works — it requires a very strict database format. Most ORM schemes do.

[eluser]dmyers[/eluser]
[quote author="OverZealous.com" date="1229553672"]No, it can not be done with DM as is. That's how DM works — it requires a very strict database format. Most ORM schemes do.[/quote]

Ok that's a bummer. I have used CakePHP's ORM and CodeIgniter's IgnitedRecord and both support joining tables without the "extra" table/overhead where it makes sense. I think Propel does it as well but I don't want to tackle that at this time! I started to look into DataMapper because I like the validation (which is like CakePHP) and the fact they seem more like "objects" then CodeIgniter's IgnitedRecord.

Guess it's back to IR for this project.

Are there any others?

[eluser]Iverson[/eluser]
[quote author="stensi" date="1229231024"]It is a bug, but it's in CodeIgniter 1.7.0.

The the Installation Instructions in the DataMapper User Guide says before installing DataMapper you need to install the latest SVN version of the MySQL Driver. The instructions on how to do that is in the Troubleshooting section.

This will prevent the...

Code:
A Database Error Occurred

Error Number: 1054

Unknown column 'table.*' in 'field list'

...type of error.[/quote]

This took me 3 days to figure out! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Confusedhut: Thanks...

[eluser]tdktank59[/eluser]
Allright so im still having issues

Basically everything but getting to the user works... I can pull the user_profile but cant get to the user. But the trick is I need to have 2 "users" a contact and an updated_by (see image below)

Heres the database layout for what im using

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6756/viewtp1.png

Heres my models for DM
I would have copy pasted them but there's a 6k word limit...
http://421entertainment.com/models.zip

[eluser]beemr[/eluser]
[quote author="dmyers" date="1229556249"]I have used CakePHP's ORM and CodeIgniter's IgnitedRecord and both support joining tables without the "extra" table/overhead where it makes sense.

Guess it's back to IR for this project.

Are there any others?[/quote]

I like the ActiveRecord_Class_Mod Development version. Even though it hasn't been updated in almost a year, it's essentially feature competitive with the newer CI ORMs and even has an edge with its chained joins and "magic" like sum, concatenate, and count. As for your main concern, has_one and belongs_to do not need a join table. No validation, though, but CI's config validation is a pretty good alternative.

If you try it, please post your comparison v. IR. I might be taking a look at IR for its nested set hierarchy feature.

[eluser]ntheorist[/eluser]
okay i've had some time so i'm making an attempt again to add join functionality to the new version of DM. It seems like i'm making some good progress, so i thought i'd post what i've got so far, to see if it works for anyone. It seems like it works better now than in my previous attempt, due to stensi's great handling of statically storing model data.

Anyway, I'm trying to work in these methods to allow joining relations (one and many) plus joining counts of 'has_many' relations in a single query, at the same time easily being able to use the where, order_by, and other query types. Additionally, even though its not 5nf, a lot of people seem to want to use foreign keys. And in some cases it makes sense, like having a generic set of keys on many models (i've got 'created_by' and 'updated_by' as foreign 'user' ids, but i don't want to have to create two separate linking tables for each model that uses them)

new methods are:
Code:
join_related($model = NULL, $fields = array(), $alias = '', $count_many = TRUE)
join_count($model) // Only works on has_many items
join_key( $field_name = NULL, $model = NULL, $fields = array() )

now instead of running get() on every relation, you just specifiy
Code:
$user = new User();
$user->join_related('userclass');
$user->get();

foreach($user->all as $u)
{
     echo $u->userclass->name; // Works just like you ran $u->userclass->get();
     echo $u->userclass->rank;
}

with join_related and join_key, you can speicify the fields (to cut down on db load), or leave it blank and all fields from the joined table will be included. The ID field is enforced in all cases. The join key function uses table aliasing to prevent name collisions, and turns the field into a model, so:
Code:
$post = new Post();
$post->get();
echo $post->created_by; // echos '1', or whatever id the user is;

$post = new Post();
$post->join_key('created_by','user', array('id','username','email'));
$post->get();
echo $post->created_by->username; // echos the user's username
echo $post->created_by->email; // you get the idear

also i added
Code:
where_count($relation, $value = NULL, $condition = '=');
which, in conjunction with join_count, or join_related on a has_many item (with count_many set to TRUE), you can specify results based on number of relations
Code:
$user = new User();
$user->join_count('post');
$user->where_count('post',10,'>');
$user->get(); // Gets users with more than 10 posts

there are a few additional functions as well in there. I changed the _to_object method to load_query_result(), which functions a bit differently, and i've had to rework several db methods, but now you can use where() and order_by() with relations that have been joined, just like regular fields
Code:
$user->join_related('userclass','name'); // Joins userclass model with only id & name
$user->where('userclass','admin','name'); // Selects where userclass.name = admin
$user->get();
only thing is if the third parameter (field to search) in the where clause isn't speicified, it assumes you're searching against the id. The same thing goes for joined_key fields
Code:
$user->join_key('created_by','user','username');
$user->where('created_by','commandercool','username');
$user->get(); // Gets users created by username 'commandercool';

// or

$user->join_key('created_by','user');
$user->where('created_by',3); // Assumes ID
$user->get(); // Gets users (fields id & username) created by user ID 3
So, other than that, i also modified the _to_array() function to spit out a complete array with relations, has_many counts, and joined keys etc..

All of this is done in single-query fashion as well. I know it's adding some to memory consumption, etc, but i think it pays back in database performance. I was also trying to be careful not to mess with too much of the code, so everything else should work just fine. That being said, i also haven't extensively tested it, and i'm sure more modifications might be needed in the remaining AR methods to account for the joins.

I'm not going to post every one of the added vars, functions and changes I made, plus this is still a work in progress, so i'll just attach the DataMapper file i've got so far and let anyone who wants to play with it, do just that.

cheers,

CC

[eluser]dmyers[/eluser]
Thank you for taking the time to investigate foreign key joins. Your example of created_by and updated_by are perfect examples of why 5nf seems like a overkill. I will take the time tonight (and/or this weekend) to test this.

D Myers

[eluser]ntheorist[/eluser]
cool, let me know if it works for you and whatever probs you may run into, and please keep in mind it could be buggy in some cases.. i'm still testing it out and addressing things here and there.

I agree, 5nf is demanding but is meant to make organization more efficient and less abstract, and i'm not trying to break away from that too much.

That being said, key joins are useful, and i don't think it's betraying the original idea too much given that, 1) all key joins require the 'id' column, as enforced by DM table structure and 2) each join is to another datamapper model, which remains unknowing of the foreign key columns.

anyway thx for the feedback, cheers

cc

[eluser]Murodese[/eluser]
Would something like the following work?

Code:
$obj_list[] = $temp_obj->get()->all;
$obj_list[] = $some_other_obj->get()->all;
$obj_list[] = $and_another->get()->all;

$obj = new Something();

$obj->name = 'fred';

$obj->save($obj_list);

I'm building a crud form automator (very similar to Django's) but checkboxes/multiple relations are frustrating me.

e; obviously there'd be where clauses on the objects but you get the idea

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB