Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Next version modularized?

[eluser]J.P.C.[/eluser]
I know there are some plugins created by users, but will the next CI version officially have it?

Also, when is going to be released?

I have written a small review about CI:
www.codewalker.wordpress.com

I will be writing more about CI and other programming stuff too, hope you like it!

Tanks and best regards to everyone.

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
I'm not sure it will be modularized. Why should it be? I believe codeigniter's gain and popularity comes from the fact that it's a lightweight framework and comes pretty standard. Modularizing it will probably make it a little bit more complicated especially for new testers.

[eluser]J.P.C.[/eluser]
[quote author="manilodisan" date="1222307052"]Modularizing it will probably make it a little bit more complicated[/quote]

I disagree with that. In fact, modularize a web application isn't too complicated and it's a great bonus to help people who have to do the project maintenance. It help you keeping your files organized by functionality and/or navigation areas, allowing you, as an example among other things, to divide the job between your team members in a more organized way or to find files, bugs, etc. This is called encapsulation and it's an old best practice.
This is handy especially in large applications.

And I don't think this feature will tier down the CI performance too deeply to be noted by the users.

If we implemented then I'm on the same side with you. I was referring to the fact that a modularized framework would require more knowledge from the average PHP programmer that's all.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
CI is already modular in a respect (inherently through the MVC pattern). There is an argument for an organizational structure whereby coupled MVC components are distributed and organized in respective folders, which is what something like the Modular Extensions (HMVC) library does. The other type of modular refers to aspect-oriented or decorator type patterns that allow components to extend functionality of other components (sort of like how Hooks react to certain times in execution).

So, it needs to made clear what topic is being discussed. And trust me, nearly everyone who discusses this always has their own version of what their talking about, sometimes blurring the lines.

[eluser]J.P.C.[/eluser]
[quote author="Colin Williams" date="1222316842"]So, it needs to made clear what topic is being discussed.[/quote]

You are right Colin. This topic can blurry the lines just how you said. I was talking about aspect-oriented modularization and specially in CI custom libraries (or only there).

For example, suppose I have a large application project then I would like to make sub-folders of libraries because I bet there will be a lot of related functionality coded in files sharing the same folder with other different files not related at all.

It's just an organization matter and how I like to structure my projects. It gave me good results by the way.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:I was talking about aspect-oriented modularization

Quote:It’s just an organization matter and how I like to structure my projects

So, which is it? Aspect-oriented or purely organizational?

(I guess that proves my point about these discussions)

[eluser]Chris Newton[/eluser]
The next version in the cue (1.7) is not modularized. You can download the SVN and take a look at the docs. Beyond that... who can say. Ellis labs doesn't like to lay out roadmaps, so nobody knows.

When adding features to an OS project, developers should always check with the community to ask for opinions. If Ellis labs like to keep the "roadmaps" hidden might be a mistake, but I doubt they do that. If the SVN is public and that really represents what they're working at right now everything should be ok. People tend to hate surprises on this kind of projects...and I'm among them.

[eluser]J.P.C.[/eluser]
[quote author="manilodisan" date="1222473343"]People tend to hate surprises on this kind of projects...and I'm among them.[/quote]

Agree. That's another thing I have asked myself: why don't make more informative and transparent the CI progress?
For example, I don't know when is going to be released the next version. I don't want a release every month, I'm not saying that. But just more information about.

Surely, there will be an explanation for that. What I know is that it will contain JQuery, if I'm not wrong (I still prefer Prototype+Scriptaculous by the way).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB