Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Got Spammed from a contact form

[eluser]Référencement Google[/eluser]
Hi,

I am looking for the best solution to protect a simple contact form that get spammed from some days.

CodeIgniter validate all fields before sending the form email, but seems the spammer passed automatically though the validation process. This website use 1.6.2 but I don't think that using the latest version of CI even from SVN will protect more my form (until somebody says me something else)

I thought that adding a Captcha may be a good idea to protect the form, but I don't like this solution for a contact form as it make the users life more complex (I hate myself when I must enter a Captcha or some other "human verification" field)

What are the available solutions to protect the form and keep things as simple as possible for my potential clients to contact me?

[eluser]Dready[/eluser]
I'm not an expert, but I heard that loading your contact form through ajax can fool spam-bots.

[eluser]Bogdan Tanase[/eluser]
I read somewhere in the forum about an idea to use a field hidden with CSS, something with an "attractive" name, like "country" or smth, and if that field is completed (which a human user will not do it) fail the validation.

Never tested though, but it sounds interesting Smile

2 interesting propositions you made here. I am just afraid with your solution Dready about accessibility (special on a form, it must be usable without JS)

Your solution Bogdan sounds more than interesting ! I will consider it seriously. Someone else have any other ideas?

[eluser]Bogdan Tanase[/eluser]
It's not mine. But I don't remember who came up with it Big Grin

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Elliot Haughin's Akismet library for CI.

Actually TooPixel I'm surprised you don't have something listed on your own directory project. :lol:

[eluser]Lone[/eluser]
I covered a technique for this just a few weeks ago on our development blog - A simple way to ease spam from forms

[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1222432330"]Elliot Haughin's Akismet library for CI.

Actually TooPixel I'm surprised you don't have something listed on your own directory project. :lol:[/quote]

Hehe, nobody added a listing with such a link...
To be honnest, I even didn't thought about checking my own directory where was listed the Eliot Akismet solution :ohh:

Lone, I will consider your solution too, it's very simple and smart, but what do you think about the solution of the hidden field that proposed Bogdan? Seems smart and simple enough + work without JS to block a spammer?

[eluser]johnwbaxter[/eluser]
Just had a quick read of your article lone and i like that method a lot. Nice idea.

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
I use an input which has a display:none from a css class and it's name is "url" to trick the bot into filling it. Than I perform a check before sending the contact message and if the url is not empty it's clearly a spam so I don't send it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB