Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI vs. Symphony

[eluser]x386[/eluser]
What's the differences between CI and Symphony (php5 framework - http://www.symfony-project.org)? Which one is better?
Thank you!

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
symfony is php 5 only, it has support for ORMs baked in (doctrine, propel), it has an admin generator (think CI scaffolding on steroids)
I've not got around to trying it out myself, but I'm a big fan of Doctrine, so it may tempt me for future projects. as for "which one is better?" - that's probably down to personal preference.

the symfony website is a bit too beige for my liking, it reminds me of an early commodore 64 Wink

[eluser]sl3dg3hamm3r[/eluser]
[quote author="GSV Sleeper Service" date="1224775057"]think CI scaffolding on steroids[/quote]

this made my day! :-)

i don't know symphony, but CI is most probably one of the most easy to learn frame-works, and the documentation is really mint.

p.s.: as far as i saw it once in a tutorial, CRUD - support must be really cool in symphony, as pointed out in the answer from above.

[eluser]manilodisan[/eluser]
This is gonna be a loooong thread. I can fell it Smile).

[eluser]sikkle[/eluser]
I think a huge part of any framework community will give you the same answer.

Each tool you can use, will have a huge impact on what you build.

So the question is mostly what do you try to achieve, and see if the framework can help you with that, the framework work with you, not against you, to be able to achieve that, you need to pick the right one.

So when you look at both user_guide you gonna see how much different they are, so to me your question is more a live discussion then a long thread in a forum.

Indeed that just my two cent.

good luck with your search, i hope you will not go the easy emmotive biased way, but do your homework, then take a clear decision.

[eluser]minimalistic[/eluser]
I've tried a lot of frameworks before I've choose CI. It's the fastest, the one with the smallest footprint and the one with less obligations and "you have to do it this that way because I've said so".

I'm a Perl veteran so I'm use to follow my own rules not framework rules. and CI makes more sense. If you want to, you may create a application that only uses controllers (not very wyse, but it's possible). If you want you may use some script that you have over there somewhere, writing in the past century directly. You can use native PHP, or the framework functions, or build your own.

That's my two cents of course Smile

[eluser]nizsmo[/eluser]
I've had quite some experience with both Symfony and Codeigniter, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. The following is only my personal experience and opinion Smile
Probably the 2 biggest disadvantages of Symfony are:
1. Its harder to learn (steeper leaning curve)
2. Its a bit heavy (fat, loads a lot of stuff even just to render a simple page)

There are a lot of people out there arguing that CI is way too simple, and to build an enterprise level website, Symfony is the more suitable framework. However to me CI is very flexible, and gives a lot of power to what the developer wants to do and is easily extensible. Look at all the libraries in the Wiki! Smile

At the end it does come down to what kind of website you are wanting to build, personally I love CI's speed & efficiency!

Goodluck and Happy coding Smile

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
CodeIgniter is spelled with 11 characters while Symfony is spelled with 7 characters. CI obviously takes the cake.

[eluser]AgentPhoenix[/eluser]
Gotta agree with nizsmo on this one. At work, our big project uses symfony and I hate it. Not only does it have a steeper learning curve and it much larger, but the CLI stuff drives me up the wall. It makes no sense to me why you'd put the core in one location and your application a million miles away. It's not very intuitive how to extend the core either. That being said, it's still a pretty powerful framework, so if it's something you've got the time to learn and like the feature list, go for it. For me, it's CI all the way. Smile

[eluser]TheActionCombo[/eluser]
[quote author="minimalistic" date="1224822350"]I've tried a lot of frameworks before I've choose CI. It's the fastest, the one with the smallest footprint and the one with less obligations and "you have to do it this that way because I've said so".[/quote]

I don't think you understand the point of those conventions. It's not "you have to do it this way because I've said so", but rather "do it this way, and I will do most of the work for you". CodeIgniter is a very easy to use, well-documented framework, but when compared to CakePHP or Symfony, you have to write more code to accomplish the same task.

Conventions are a good thing.

Also, the speed or footprint size of a framework are not points worth mentioning. The purpose of a framework is to increase DEVELOPMENT speed, not APPLICATION speed. We could hand-write PHP that is faster than any framework. The framework is never the bottleneck, so speed should not be a factor in choosing one.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB