Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How to use the 3rd level domain?

[eluser]@ndrea[/eluser]
[quote author="TheFuzzy0ne" date="1234489395"]If you want to redirect to another URL, I'd imagine that only DNS or .htaccess will be the only things that work. I'm trying to imagine how your users would access their sites, and I can't see how they could via CodeIgniter. You'd want to do a hard direct before any files are read from the Web root, would you not?[/quote]

I'm sorry, I probably did't explain my problem well, I'll try with an example.
mysite.com is a portal with maps, images and videos from different locations and 'abc', 'xyz' are city names such as 'Rome' and 'Milan'.

When an user goes to mysite.com, he sees a page with information: "Hi, I'm a very cool portal!".
If the user wants to see the content he must go directly to the city home page with the correct url (eg. milan.mysite.com).
The word 'milan' is used to specify the right city in the DB query. Good examples for controller, action and id are: 'images', 'maps' or 'videos' for controller; 'gallery', 'upload' or 'comments' for action and 'id' is the database id for a specific video or image.

At the moment I use htaccess with that rule to take the 3rd level domain:

Code:
RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME} ^([^.]*)\.(.*\..*)$
RewriteCond %{SERVER_NAME} ^(w+)\..*$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ %1/index.php [QSA,NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?city=$1 [L,QSA]

I don't remember the real reason for the first rewrite, but it worked after I wrote it twice.

Bye.
A.

Messages In This Thread
How to use the 3rd level domain? - by El Forum - 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
How to use the 3rd level domain? - by El Forum - 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM
How to use the 3rd level domain? - by El Forum - 02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
How to use the 3rd level domain? - by El Forum - 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
How to use the 3rd level domain? - by El Forum - 02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
How to use the 3rd level domain? - by El Forum - 02-13-2009, 07:17 AM
How to use the 3rd level domain? - by El Forum - 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB