Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Implementing a 'kill switch', ethically dubious question!

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
What if you host the databases on your own machine. That way you have control over the data behind the system. If they don't pay, just disable the db.

[eluser]rogierb[/eluser]
I assume you have you own webspace, so why not create a "subscription" page on your webspace and check for a valid subscription by the CI code that's on another server.

If the client has paid, just disable the piece of code(pre-controller hook?) that does the subscription checking. You can even add IP and/or a serial to it.

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
[quote author="rogierb" date="1238782780"]I assume you have you own webspace, so why not create a "subscription" page on your webspace and check for a valid subscription by the CI code that's on another server. [/quote]

What an interesting idea. You could conceivably control subscription/expiration/activation etc. for all your accounts without having to mess with the actual code you programmed. Once an account has been "activated" it will no longer have to check the subscription page for permission to continue as it would during a trial period.

That sounds really cool. I know there are definite drawbacks to that method, but there are drawbacks to every method available. Perhaps a combination of a few would be a worthwhile pursuit, as long as you still get everything in writing.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB