Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Forum system - how to track already read vs new messages, per user

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
I think that what I need to do, is just query the database, and pull out a row for each forum with the highest date, which of course will be compared to the date of the most recent post in that forum. This was suggested before by Developer13, and has one inherent problem - Once the user has read the most recent post in the forum, the forum will appear to be have been read from the outside view of the containing forum. I think I just need to figure out how to get around this. Every idea I come up with seems to loop back around to this idea, so I figured I may as well run with it, iron out the creases and see where I am when the dust settles.

...And Jedd, I don't know if this answers your question, but at the moment I have nothing to do with forum tracking in my database. In the interest of keeping it simple, I would like to keep the forum tracking separate from the rest of the forum, at the expense of an extra query or two. I may decide to change it in the future, but since the site is not expected to be too busy, I'd like to avoid it.

Messages In This Thread
Forum system - how to track already read vs new messages, per user - by El Forum - 09-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB