Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
latest on scaffolding

[eluser]boony[/eluser]
Hi,

I noted that there was a post earlier regarding scaffolding being deprecated as of about v1.6 or something like that.

However, I note that v1.7.1 still has the scaffolding stuff in it. So what exactly is the go at the moment. I tried to use it but it didn't seem to work but don't know if it was a problem my end or if indeed scaffolding was no longer supported. Point being if it is not why is it still mentioned etc etc :question:

[eluser]Clooner[/eluser]
Scaffolding is deprecated.

They probably just left it in because some apps rely on it and they didn't want to break it when doing a minor version upgrade of CI.

In general the use of the scaffolding libraries should be avoided.

[eluser]boony[/eluser]
OK, thats what I thought. I also appreciate that scaffolding should be avoided but however at times of stress these things can help things along :coolsmile:

[eluser]Clooner[/eluser]
Just curious... I actually never used the scaffolding and never got "it". How would it help you along in times of stress?

[eluser]boony[/eluser]
Well, the scaffolding feature just set up a quick a dirty way of setting up a CRUD for a database. The code was pretty dirty but you could test some features without having to write a lot of code yourself.

I have used something similar in the past (not CI) and it was usefull for prototyping the database set up for a client to see if the fields are as you expected.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="boony" date="1238758506"]Well, the scaffolding feature just set up a quick a dirty way of setting up a CRUD for a database.[/quote]

{shudder} The thing I hate about using this (or any type of GUI) to enter test data .. is that it's time-consuming. Oh, and you can't easily replicate an environment. And there's a lot of mouse-work involved.

Actually it's just the difficulty of being able to replicate a state of data that I find most annoying. And having to use the mouse to enter data ..

When you build your tables, build some test data (INSERT_tablename.mysql files). Wrap them all up in a 'do it all' INSERT.mysql file that's full of 'source INSERT_tablename.mysql;' calls.

Same with CREATE side of things - so with two commands you can get back to a sane, known database.

Alternatively - look at the MySQL Workbench, or even things like NetBeans' database component, or PHPMyAdmin, as ways of using a mouse to slow you down as you add textual information to your database.

Oh, actually what I meant to point out .. was that if you meant CRUD as in CRUD functionality, and were looking for an alternative path for when (if) scaffolding ever gets properly removed from CI - check out CodeCrafter.

[eluser]pelikular[/eluser]
Er....

I have just installed codeigniter and used the scaffolding feature, which I though was rather useful...

Can some one explain , without shouting or direct me to some posts where the debate began....

Its simple and useful....

??

[eluser]boony[/eluser]
Hi,

don't worry, I've found that this forum is one of the most helpful I've ever been involved with and no one shouts :-) just get good useful information. I know you will find CI a great framework and you will never be far from good advice.

Now, re the scaffolding. It was deprecated around ver 1.6 and I'm not sure that there was a thread to this but I tried to use it in ver 1.7.1 and it didn't work. Did you get it to work with the latest version and if so then maybe I got it all wrong :gulp: But, as the other posts point out it is probably best avoided for a number of reasons including security etc.

If you want more info you could google it (I will do this later when I've got some time) and maybe follow up if I get any thing of any use.

[eluser]pelikular[/eluser]
latest version , installed new ONLY 2 days ago 1.7.1...

Did three tutorials and (with some very minor tweeks) everything worked just fine..
I found the other tutorial on another website great follow on from the 2 on this site....

I actually thought scaffolding was cool.......

go figure....

Any more explanations though as to why its been canned would be great.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB