Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
On my forum module (a work still in progress, and heavily modeled on the CI Forum approach) I do much as they do for forum breadcrumbs :

Code:
Forum Home  >  CodeIgniter Development Forums  >  Code and Application Development  >  Thread

You don't mean breadcrumb in the sense of taking you from where you came, so much as tracking where you are in the hierarchy, do you? If the former, then probably a compound addition to flashdata -- an array of perhaps 3 or 4 items that you just do some FIFO magic with - would probably work reasonably well, especially if you were preparing your breadcrumb string or view snippet in your MY_Controller (or similar).

You seem to hint that basing on URL structure won't work .. is that because you've got a flat structure, or the work involved in converting '111457' to 'Forum breadcrumb class - where to start?' kind of lookups? That's what I'm doing, btw, and works pretty well. I have to pass forum / thread / message id's around, so just pass forum-name and thread-subjects at the same time.

I generate my breadcrumbs in my Forum controller - which handles all public messaging - so no repetition as such (my Mail system is pretty much the 'whispered threads' that xwero pointed me at a while ago - and consequently I've replicated lumps of code from the Forum controller until I work out what I can abstract down again). I digress.

Messages In This Thread
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Forum breadcrumb class - where to start? - by El Forum - 04-30-2009, 06:00 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB