Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Google Reader Library

[eluser]parrots[/eluser]
I've had a mess of code I use to access Google Reader data and I finally consolidated it into a nice clean library. It's made things a lot easier for me when dealing with Google Reader, hopefully it can help out someone else too.

Features
* Support for anonymous and authenticated access to:
* Shared items
* Starred items (authenticated only)
* Unread items (authenticated only)
* Subscription list (authenticated only)
* Ability to mark items as shared/starred, read/unread, and unshare/unstar them too (authenticated only)
* Convenience functions that parse the XML into easy-to-use objects
* Alternately the ability to get the raw XML if you want do deal with the parsing yourself

Get it
More details, how to use it, and download it from http://forgottenexpanse.com/projects/code/ci_reader

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Looks really good, makes adding widgets like 'Recently starred/shared items' really easy
Thanks for sharing Smile

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I wonder who wants to use google reader in another app? shared items i can understand but starred of unread items?

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1240236836"]I wonder who wants to use google reader in another app? shared items i can understand but starred of unread items?[/quote]

The only reason I can think of for the unread items is if you want to make your own iGoogle style widget, although using CI for that would be overkill :S

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
If you create a webOS type of website you can create a google reader application but it still feels like wanting to create a more limiting interface over a fully functional interface.

I didn't check the library itself but does it have a method to set the unread items to read? Or a way to share or star an unread item?

[eluser]parrots[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1240241130"]If you create a webOS type of website you can create a google reader application but it still feels like wanting to create a more limiting interface over a fully functional interface.

I didn't check the library itself but does it have a method to set the unread items to read? Or a way to share or star an unread item?[/quote]

No, v1 of the library is read-only. I just wanted to get their simple API calls in place. If there is actually demand for features like that I'll add them to the library, didn't want to go too crazy in the first release.

Personally I just use the shared items call, which I assume is what most others would want too.

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
Has Google publicly published it's Reader API? I searched for it a while back and never could find much? Link?

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
[quote author="Dam1an" date="1240237870"][quote author="xwero" date="1240236836"]I wonder who wants to use google reader in another app? shared items i can understand but starred of unread items?[/quote]

The only reason I can think of for the unread items is if you want to make your own iGoogle style widget, although using CI for that would be overkill :S[/quote]

I would love to make an app though would allow me to take the starred items and with the help from my own database, create a way to sort/organize the starred items into "folders". I hate that Google Reader only gives you a "Starred Items" container and doesn't give you a way to create subfolders within the Starred Items.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I understand you want to see what you can do with the api but if you think the main reason to use the library is to call the shared items why not create a shared items plugin? The only thing the method needs is the id, according to your documentation.

[eluser]parrots[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1240254057"]I understand you want to see what you can do with the api but if you think the main reason to use the library is to call the shared items why not create a shared items plugin? The only thing the method needs is the id, according to your documentation.[/quote]

It started out as just shared items, and that's what I mainly use it for, but no reason to limit things to just that. The rest of the API was easy to hook into, so why not? The extra features doesn't complicate that core function and gives the end-user more options. Win-win in my book.

Is there a specific reason you'd like to see a shared item plugin vs this library?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB