Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Taking care of localization (and other app development questions)

[eluser]Bramme[/eluser]
Hey all

Here I am again, asking for more advice :p

I'm working on a little cms for myself: to use in the future, as practice and maybe someday, to release it.

The basic functionality is finished and now I'm going over everything again, taking care of the finer work, setting stuff in a config file, taking care of my syntax etc etc. But this also brings forth some questions and problems I don't really know how to take care off.

1. I would like to be able to easily release the cms in several languages, so now I'm putting all strings in a language file. But what to do with longer strings? I have complete paragraphs that are multiple lines long. Is it okay that I put these in the lang file too? And what about mark up? Do I include it in the language file or not?

2. How much do you put in config files? At the moment I'm storing table names in a config file too. How often does it happen that one changes table names? Is this a good practice, or just too much code? Do you prefer storing your table names in a config file?

3. Something else that's bugging me: I have several (small) javascript files that are needed on several pages (but not all), at the moment, I just load these files as I need them... Sometimes this means 5 separate js files on a page, sometimes none. Is there a way to put all the javascript in one file, that is always loaded, but only executes the necessary code? Would this be possible by writing jquery plugins and then just calling the required plugin when needed?

4. One last thing for now: I use an auth library I wrote myself. I'm a strong believer that libraries should be things that can be used on several apps (the opposite of models, that are app specific). My library has all the methods my project needs (methods that refer to fetching userdata, restrictions etc). However, I have a content controller (and model) that rely on my user table to store who editted which pages when. Do you have had this "problem" before, and how did you solve it? I guess I could also follow the logic "a model is app specific, and since the library is part of the app, the model can rely on that library.

I know there's no right answer to any of my "problems". A lot of these things are pure preference offcourse, but I'd still like some input from you guys. So thanks for reading this chunk of text :p

Messages In This Thread
Taking care of localization (and other app development questions) - by El Forum - 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB