Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
My understanding. Is it correct?

[eluser]Natebot[/eluser]
Access to your hostings file system differs from host to host, but I favor placing both the application and system folders outside of the Web root when I can. Some developers don't get that choice as the hosting company only lets them add files to their Web root and not outside it.

In your case it would be a structure like:
./application
./system
./public_html

./public_html is still the web root, and you'd place the index.php file somewhere inside public_html, either at the web root level (if www.yourdomain.com is your app) or deeper (if www.yourdomain.com/something/ is your app). In either case you just adjust the paths in the index.php file to point to the location of the application and system directories.

I also create an extra directory ./data
which is where I store my system logs ./data/logs/sys_logs/
and my CI caches ./data/cache/DBcache/ ./data/cache/PageCache/
(update ./application/config/config.php and database.php to point to those directories)
This means the /system directory has no generated cache and log content and I can replace it at will with new versions. In fact I can have multiple (system164 & system171) and use a symbolic link to toggle between them.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing, I just wanted to mention how flexible the install can be. Once you get some experience you're bound to find an install pattern that suites your needs.

Messages In This Thread
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 05-28-2009, 10:45 PM
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 05-29-2009, 03:06 AM
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 05-29-2009, 04:09 AM
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 05-29-2009, 04:18 AM
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 05-30-2009, 04:26 AM
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 06-02-2009, 12:04 AM
My understanding. Is it correct? - by El Forum - 06-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB