Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
FireOrb

[eluser]fireorb[/eluser]
It is a fork and not meant to follow Drupal in any manner or form. 4.7 is because this was the simplest codebase with the least possibility of falling apart as things a stripped out.

Now you may ask why a fork and why this? A fork because there are things in Drupal 5 and 6 that are not what I would have liked to see in Drupal ( Drupal 7 is more of the stuff I don't like). I am simply scratching my own itch and writing code. I really do not like all the automagic things that happen in Drupal and think that the code base should be smaller. Views and CCK, though I use and understand them, give me a rash.

I liked CI from the very beginning and it has large parts that are very similar to Drupal 4.7. I would like to be able to write a MVC application now and again but not every time. So putting them together gives me what I need for my own small and medium sized sites without resorting to Wordpress.

I could have written a new CMS from scratch but I like the head start that a fork gives. The integration lets me hit the ground running. Frankly, I am bored with all PHP CMSes that only seem to be getting larger (feature bloat) and lack any real improvements in the use of PHP or MySQL.

Like I said in the post this stuff is not for everyone. I am only distributing it because it might save someone else some headaches and time. For me it works nicely because I build sites mostly from scratch and maintain them. I use a CMS is only when it might speed up development time in the same manner that I use CI.

Messages In This Thread
FireOrb - by El Forum - 05-29-2009, 09:23 AM
FireOrb - by El Forum - 05-29-2009, 08:51 PM
FireOrb - by El Forum - 05-29-2009, 11:08 PM
FireOrb - by El Forum - 05-30-2009, 04:08 AM
FireOrb - by El Forum - 05-30-2009, 07:04 AM
FireOrb - by El Forum - 06-17-2009, 05:10 AM
FireOrb - by El Forum - 06-17-2009, 05:18 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB