Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
video tutorial problems

[eluser]psolms[/eluser]
hi there.

im following along with the video tutorial, trying to recreate what he does step by step. im at the part where he changes his core loader (in the autoload.php) to include the database. the problem i'm having is this:

my autoload.php has no $autoload['core'] = array(); line, instead, it has this line.

$autoload['libraries'] = array();

i assume it is the same, so i added the database to it, looks like this now

$autoload['libraries'] = array('database');

... the problem is when i try to load the page (which works if i remove the 'database') - it does not load. it does not give me an error, simply a blank page.

if anyone could help me in any way, that would be awesome.

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
On your index.php page (and I mean the one in your virtual root) turn error reporting on if it's off:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

[eluser]psolms[/eluser]
it seems to be on already.

You administrator may have errors turned off for the entire server. Check your apache error logs. If this is your development server, check your documentation for your setup. Also, you might try adding this to your .htaccess file:

php_flag display_startup_errors on
php_flag display_errors on

If it's your machine then you can look for:

display_startup_errors on
display_errors on

in your php.ini file and make sure they are turned on.

[eluser]psolms[/eluser]
hmm.. added those lines to the .htaccess, but it did nothing. even restarted the server. still nothing...

checking error log for the apache server...

[Mon Jun 22 01:27:42 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: D:/server/favicon.ico
[Mon Jun 22 01:27:54 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: D:/server/favicon.ico
[Mon Jun 22 01:28:07 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: D:/server/favicon.ico
[Mon Jun 22 01:31:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: D:/server/favicon.ico

this looks important...
a quick search indicates that i do not have this file anywhere...
google tells me its just for the icon? maybe this isnt that important...

That error message is common as many browsers try to get your website's icon to display in the url bar. That's not it. Have you located your php.ini file? With the windows paths in your log files, it appears this is your computer. php.ini would override your .htaccess file. Your .htaccess file may not even be enabled in your setup. Try looking for:

display_startup_errors on
display_errors on

in your php.ini file.

You might post what development environment you have setup. (wampserver, xammp, etc.)

[eluser]psolms[/eluser]
php.ini had display errors off... changed.

gah.. still no errors.

i am running vista with an apache server (2.0.63) and php 5.something... (the most stable build)

i guess a major question is the difference between the 'libraries' and the 'core' (from the video). is it just different versions with slightly different syntax?

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Check and double check your database settings. Incorrect database settings are known to cause a blank page.

[quote author="TheFuzzy0ne" date="1245685912"]Check and double check your database settings. Incorrect database settings are known to cause a blank page.[/quote]

This is where I was going actually, but you really should have error messages working for you. It's kinda hard to debug without them. They should be on judging by the information you have given. You can test by introducing a syntax error into your index.php page, for example.

As far as the blank page, perhaps this is a CI issue when the database cannot connect (perhaps CI is trapping the error but not displaying an error message.) However, a blank page when using PHP *usually* means displaying errors is off.

Good luck!

[eluser]psolms[/eluser]
removed a semi-colon, got an error message. so it seems a problem with the database.
i double checked all my database settings in database.php, no difference.

great... i cant even upload my images to prove that its the right setup.

i know its going in blind, but any suggestions?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB