Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
2.0 - seriously, whats taking so long?

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Thanks everyone. Everything I would want to say has already been said (much better then I could say it) so just let me do a quick "official" wrap up (I'm not closing this thread or anything, just want to summarize/add a few things).

EE 2.0 is what was announced, not CI 2.0. If EE needs something, then CI gets it, but as it stands right now, EE2.0 is actually out in people's hands, being used, being coded for. A more broad public release is coming, but it is not vapourware - although yes, it took longer then we anticipated for all types of reasons.

EE 2.0 runs on a nearly stock install of CI from the SVN. What is not in there is the aforementioned javascript library, which frankly most people here (CI devs) would neither want or need. CI continues to be under active development, check the SVN and you'll still see stuff happening. We aren't hiding anything from you.

I'm sorry if I created any artificial expectations for anyone about CI 2.0 - not my intention. CI continues to be a flexible, fast, intuitive framework that derives most of its value from the intelligence of the coder using it, and the community around it. The next version of CI will not change this.

[eluser]IvanBernat[/eluser]
[quote author="Derek Allard" date="1246398564"]CI continues to be a flexible, fast, intuitive framework that derives most of its value from the intelligence of the coder using it, and the community around it. The next version of CI will not change this.[/quote]

Nicely put!

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:EE 2.0 runs on a nearly stock install of CI from the SVN.

Good to hear your input, Derek. Thanks for being open and honest about everything.

[eluser]Edmundas KondraĊĦovas[/eluser]
From my point of view, I think there is no need to rush in on CI updates. Well, unless someone finds a few very critical security issues, but I'm sure you can rely on current CI version. Smile I've developed a few web projects based on CodeIgniter framework (specifically CI v 1.7.1) and so far I couldn't even think of additional CI improvements. The reason for that is I find everything I need and if it happens that I do need something, which is not included in the standard CI "package", I usually write required libraries, helpers myself or use code written by other community members. Some people need to remember that CodeIgniter is a framework, not a "we-did-completely-everything-for-you-so-you-could-just-put-the-files-on-the-server-and-enjoy" package. CI is extremely flexible, customizable and extendable. No one should push developers of CI to pump out extra features every couple of months. They've already made some incredible work and we should appreciate that.

[eluser]ntheorist[/eluser]
I agree wholeheartedly that a newer version of CI isn't really necessary. CI is great because of its simplicity and small footprint, just as it says on the cover of the box!

I spent a great deal of time looking at frameworks and went with CI because of this. Taking Yii as an example, sure its under fierce development, but take a look at the api, you have over 240+ classes to manage. You'd spend more than half your time buried in the API alone trying to pick up that framework. Compare that with CI's 25 base classes, some of which are automated for you. Copy files, set config, create .htaccess, BOOM - done.

The great thing about CI is it allows php programmers to be php programmers, enjoying the benefits of MVC without having to learn an encyclopedia of syntax, class names and methods. The only trade-off is that you have to build/integrate additional classes yourself, but if you know what you're doing its a snap. In fact, i think the fact that CI hasn't undergone serious upgrades is to its own credit. Why change something that works?

That's not to say there isn't room for improvement, but that's what the CI community is for.

Lastly, if I were to suggest a major upgrade it would simply be to rewrite it strictly for php5, chucking php4 which is pretty much redundant at this point. kind of what Akelos is doing, which is inspired by CI.

CC

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
[quote author="CommanderCool" date="1246466290"]kind of what Akelos is doing, which is inspired by CI.[/quote]

Really? I was under the impression Akelos was a PHP port of Ruby on Rails
Quote:The Akelos Framework is an open-source port of Ruby on Rails to the
PHP programming language.

Maybe you mean Kohana? Which is a PHP5 community fork?

[eluser]Dreammaker[/eluser]
Today I learned features of Akelos I can see Akelos looks like CI but with improvements I would see in CI (rapid development, as example).

Quote:Maybe you mean Kohana? Which is a PHP5 community fork?

Heh Yes, thank you. i did mean Kohana. There's just too many frameworks to choose from! Tongue The point stands though i'd like to see a full php5 optimized CI.

Another thing i DO wish would be implemented is some sort of built in Template library. They have the template parser, but its very basic. I'm trying to tackle the use of php in an editor at the moment (tinyMce in my case), which turns out to not, um, be so friendly to php code, and thus template tags would be ideal. I really kinda like the sintags akelos uses ( i've never used RoR so its all new to me ), but i know EE has a pretty nice template language too.

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
"full php5 optimized CI" is a weird choice of words. Pretty much all of the features in PHP5 that reduce code increase memory. That and the CodeIgniter core already supports PHP5 as much as it needs to. The rest of the models, controllers and libraries can be as PHP5 friendly as you like, so as I have said a million times, PHP 5 only support is a non-issue.

TinyMCE will support PHP tags fine if you turn off auto-XSS cleaning and remember to clean your other inputs. Configure TinyMCE to allow PHP tags and you are good to go.

The Parser library definitely needs some inject_beef() though. It is really weak at the moment and needs to support functions and less array key tag conflicts. Something closer to Smarty but less MASSIVE and OTT would be spot on.

Well, yeah the php5 thing is mostly convention i suppose. In many instances visibility protection & abstract classes can be nice to use, but for the core libraries i would agree its really not necessary. Just desperately trying to find flaws in CI Tongue

Still working on the tinyMCE thing. How would you suggest Configuring it to allow php? There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the docs, which is surprising since php is used for examples all over the site. I found a 'quick and dirty' method here and a more advanced, but seemingly very beta plugin, but not much else...

yeah i looked at smarty for about 2 minutes before deciding it was like sticking a V8 on a motorcycle. I'd like to use similar parsing features tho. any libs/classes you can recommend?

thx!

n

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB