Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
2.0 - seriously, whats taking so long?

[eluser]Iván Argulo[/eluser]
I agree with ntheorist. I don't miss anything in CodeIgniter... for sure there are things that could be improved, but I've deployed several sites, some of them very large, and excluding a few bugs I found and reported, everything was very well.

This is a framework for programming; adding thousands of plugins and libraries would help programmers, but I love the point that CodeIgniter has: it gives you the tools, you put your logic and abilities. This is not CakePHP...

[eluser]John_Betong[/eluser]

I will be pleased when the next release of CodeIgniter is available and I am really looking forward to the shopping cart feature. I know the SVN version is available but I prefer the full blown version with documentation.

Slightly off topic, I have virtually just completed a shopping cart for a customer. A programmer in the company recommended a popular GNU Open Source application that must have been designed by a committee. It has some sort of intricate structured system that I am still unable follow and is really hard work. Even trying to find and trace the calling file required an intermediate step to find the defined file name! I still cannot understand what is to be gained by not using the original file name but a defined name instead? The view/display code was splattered liberally throughout hundreds of files in numerous directories. Commenting was minimal and 49 nested tables in the demo version!

All I can say is just be grateful to CodeIgniter for a very good, simple, free and well documented PHP framework. Nearly forgot to mention the most helpful bulletin board. Also for introducing me to the MVC structure.

[eluser]Dreammaker[/eluser]
I had moved to Yii recently. A good php5 framework and this isn't appendix for CMS so it dynamically developing. I liked CI, but this is the past.

[eluser]ntheorist[/eluser]
[quote author="Dreammaker" date="1247703906"]I had moved to Yii recently. A good php5 framework and this isn't appendix for CMS so it dynamically developing. I liked CI, but this is the past.[/quote]

good for you. I'm looking at Yii too and it's interesting and i wanna give it a go. I don't think i have the time to switch over with my current project, but it seems fast and well put togther. A true php5 application framework rather than just a collection of libraries.

To its credit though CI has been stagnant yet has remained one of the top used frameworks for over two years. And still holds respectable benchmarks even compared to Yii. For many reasons already mentioned its strength lays in its ease of use, docs and adaptability for a wider range of programmers - this is almost unanimously agreed on. New frameworks will have to match this if they want to sway many CI users. It's popularity alone makes it attractive, as well as a target for more serious programmers. In any case i'm sure its here to stay and will remain in use for a while.

It would be nice to see it optimized and upgraded with the release of EE2, i think a lot of people are hoping for this before deciding whether or not to keep using it. Yii is exciting and new but still has some barriers to cross over. Also i'm surprised that there's not more interest in Kohana as it seems like a good fit for people wishing for many more integrated upgrades using the priciples of CI.

[eluser]designfellow[/eluser]
Hi,

We hardly waiting to CI 2.0 Smile

Thanks
DesignFellow

[eluser]Mohsen32[/eluser]
Is this true "officialy" that we're gonna pay something for CI 2.0?

[eluser]jayrulez[/eluser]
[quote author="Mohsen32" date="1249041250"]Is this true "officialy" that we're gonna pay something for CI 2.0?[/quote]

CI is open source. Where did you get that "info"?

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
Why are you guys so crazy about 2.0?
Is there anything important missing in CI, any big bug that's gonna be fixed in 2.0 instead of 1.7.2?

True, CI will undergoe some changes as EE2 will be based on CI...but that's it...atleast as far as I know.

I'm perfectly fine with 1.7.1/1.7.2 right now...take your time @ 2.0!

[eluser]Mohsen32[/eluser]
[quote author="jayrulez" date="1249042244"][quote author="Mohsen32" date="1249041250"]Is this true "officialy" that we're gonna pay something for CI 2.0?[/quote]

CI is open source. Where did you get that "info"?[/quote]

http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/75600

[eluser]jayrulez[/eluser]
[quote author="Mohsen32" date="1249042866"][quote author="jayrulez" date="1249042244"][quote author="Mohsen32" date="1249041250"]Is this true "officialy" that we're gonna pay something for CI 2.0?[/quote]

CI is open source. Where did you get that "info"?[/quote]

http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/75600[/quote]

lol have you read the whole thread and checked the date on those posts?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB