Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
what to use for a user rank based web application?

[eluser]bsauls[/eluser]
[quote author="parachuter2b" date="1251687516"]Hi there,

I'm working on a web app that is for a fitness community.
The goal is to allow users to post their favorite work out tunes and other users to rank them. sort of like digg and other web 2.0 voting based sites, but of course not as complicated.
I did some research and seems like CMS wouldn't be a bad choice? (i.e. joomla or drupal)
I also read some articles on flex today...
but a lot of mixed review on all of them!

what would you suggest? would it be easier to go with a CMS or write it in php, mysql (or whatever else db) from scratch?

ps. I'd rather use a template that comes with one of these tools rather than spend time on design

Thanks for your time,

parachuter2b[/quote]

parachuter:

You are probably well on your way with this one way or another, but I have been looking at a similar issue, and my decision might help. I have a non-profit client that is looking for a CMS for their site, they are considering Drupal and Joomla!, and they want me to integrate a fund raising management system they have used for over 10 years (migrate db to MySQL) into the CMS. I have a lot of codeigniter experience, and many time saving code creation scripts. Do I integrate Codeigniter or use the Drupal or Joomla! framework? I've decided to go with the CMS framework, for long term maintenance reasons and the fact that they are both truly great and well written frameworks.

My suggestion is to download each of them and go through the tutorials, and you will realize that the overall answer is easy. You would be a fool to try to replicate, much less improve on these frameworks, and you will ultimately have a lot of joy working with them.

I stumbled on your question because my client recently switched from going ahead with Joomla! to considering Drupal, but my decision remains to go with either of these frameworks that they choose.

Bruce Sauls, Raleigh, NC

Messages In This Thread
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 05:13 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 07:34 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
what to use for a user rank based web application? - by El Forum - 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB