Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How Do You Control Your Source Code?

[eluser]BrianDHall[/eluser]
For my personal situation, I'm now a 'professional' web developer - it's my job. I'm The web guy for my company, and no form of formal process existed in the past. I have an ASP property management site I'm responsible for (boo, hiss - on the upside I can now say I have experience with .NET Tongue), a coupon website, now a rental website, and probably a web-based software application next.

Basically, I can setup whatever I want. I have my home PC and a work PC (32-bit Windows XP at home, 64-bit Vista...ugh (I didn't pick it)...at work), and we have a dedicated server that runs linux, which I'm also the sole admin for. On a tangent, "unmanaged hosting" is a nice way of saying "we don't know what we are doing and are not going to be of any help in the future, so don't bother asking us for anything, even if we screwed it up in the first place".

I've always done my own projects, and haven't had a coding team member. I've always been the only person in a job that knew how to code.

I was out of programming/development for like 2-5 years - CVS was the de facto standard back then, almost no one used an IDE for PHP (which was only version 4, with 5 being just a wet dream), frameworks (and rails) didn't exist and I heard of some weird little language called ruby that was cute but worthless, and unit testing was for software developers. Oh, and debugging was the judicious use of var_dump. And if you wanted help you posted on the PHP mailing list or visited PHPBuilder. Of course MySQL was the state of the art, and only the koolest kids had functions that let them minimize use of SQL writing by hand.

So, I'm trying to catch up with the times Big Grin

---------

With that said, I am trying to decide if I should use any control software for my current projects. I'm only one person and no one I know personally or work with knows programming (well my boss knew fortran back in the day...), so I have to judge it purely on a "Will it help me Now" basis.

I know that knowing CVS, SVN, and git would all be of use to me jobwise, which will be an issue because you always have to keep your options open - but I want to learn Adobe Air/Flex, improve my javascript skills, understand AJAX, build next-generation rich web applications, and on and on - I have lots I want to learn, I just have to decide what to learn first.

And I have to juggle this all with doing actual work and getting things done, so I can't be all bait cutting and no fishing Smile

So what do you think, with either SVN or git, would it be of use to me as a single professional programmer, or is its value really only shown in a multi-user environment?

-Brian

Messages In This Thread
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 03:32 AM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 04:49 AM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 05:34 AM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 07:20 AM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 08:10 AM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
How Do You Control Your Source Code? - by El Forum - 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM