Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Im trying to create forum..

[eluser]tyuwan[/eluser]
Im working on a forum application for my website, but I don't know how to deal with the
"New posts" and "Hot Topic" for each user. What would be the method to do this?

[eluser]bretticus[/eluser]
[quote author="tyuwan" date="1253698620"]Im working on a forum application for my website, but I don't know how to deal with the
"New posts" and "Hot Topic" for each user. What would be the method to do this?[/quote]

Sorry, but you need to be more specific. Thanks.

[eluser]kurucu[/eluser]
I'm doing something similar, and this is the functionality I'm (wrongly) leaving until last, as it looks like it will be inelegant and difficult no matter what happens.

My thoughts were along the lines of:
- Use a table to track which users have visited which threads, and when they last did that
- Show new posts as those posted within the last X days, and otherwise are newer than the last visit, or in a thread not included in the last visit table
- Hot threads would be those with more than Y posts in the last Z amount of time.
- For some reason I always lay my threads of thought out in bullet points.

[eluser]tyuwan[/eluser]
Thanks kurucu, that does helped me a lot. How do you call your tracker with the Topics list?

Here is how i fetch my topics query
Code:
$this->db->where('forum_id',$forum_id);
$this->db->order_by('last_post','DESC');
$this->db->limit($limit,$current);
$query = $this->db->get('forum_topics');
if($query->num_rows() > 0)
{
   return $query->result();
}
return array();

[eluser]kurucu[/eluser]
Well, mine is still conceptual, and I presently order my threads by their creation date, but "threadvisits" if I have to hazard a guess now.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
There is a [url="http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/110399/"]four-page thread[/url] on this subject already, that's worth a read through to give you a few ideas.

I don't cater for Hot Threads .. because the idea doesn't appeal, and the phrase gives me flashbacks to the Hot Cops from Arrested Development.

[eluser]tyuwan[/eluser]
Thanks, for the link but it seems they still haven't solved the problem yet.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB