Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Next version of favourite Codeigniter

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Ok, I understood. Codeigniter 2.0(or something like that) can be a great gift for me at the New Year DaySmile I think it is bad that we know just a bit about development progress of CI. Many people can't wait and they are switching to Kohana for it's advantages under Codeigniter like UTF8 support, PHP5, additional modules and, the main reason, for it's development speed! Kohana "jumps" from one version to another. But CI is better! I absolutely know, if soon we will see a new version of CI, this news will be on every development blog, Twitter accounts and this will be like a big explosion!!! Do you agree with me?

[eluser]John Fuller[/eluser]
CodeIgniter is just as transparent as Kohana. Ellislab has provided access to the repository and you can use that to see exactly what work is being done. Kohana does have a timeline, but future plans aren't current accomplishments and that's why Ellislab doesn't give roadmaps or hard dates.

If Kohana has features you need, then I suggest you use Kohana until CodeIgniter has those same features. If not Kohana, then try one of the other many frameworks available.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
I already used Kohana and I don't like it like all other frameworks.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="Demedes" date="1260185625"]for it's development speed! Kohana "jumps" from one version to another. [/quote]
If by jumping you mean they change their API code on the fly breaking every previous release when you update, then sure Kohana is just what you need.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
No, I mean that kohana realeses new and new versions very fast! I want to code only with CI. It is my favourite framework!

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Yours certainly looks like it's had less surgery.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Michael didn't use surgery. Just 2 operations:one on his nose and another on chin. I don't trust press. "Fuck the press, Michael the best!" ©

And about the question of topic:
Thank you for the SVN link, but does it have differences between revision 1762 in SVN and "official" package?

[eluser]Refringe[/eluser]
I don't mean to digress from the main subject, but it's not too often people manage to contradict them selfs in as little as seven words.

[quote author="Demedes" date="1260223069"]Michael didn’t use surgery. Just 2 operations[/quote]

Made me chuckle.

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
Guys, let's talk about the topic. Please. Everyone believes in what, that he wants! Your discussion about Michael will not change anything! Thank you for understanding.

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
If you want the most cutting edge version of CodeIgniter, grab (as mentioned) what's in the SVN. The version of CI that EE2 uses is almost exactly what you'll find in there. There is no set release date, and there will not be one until its practically on our doorstep, and frankly, it wouldn't help you if there were.

Let's say that I told you right now that we'd implement $feature_x. In fact, let's go further and say that I told you the next version of CodeIgniter will have authentication (I'm not saying this, but for the point of illustration its a useful example). In fact, lets go further and say that the next version of CI will be CI2, and it will be released January 21st (also not saying this). Now it just so happens that you need Auth for your next project, and even though your next project is a few weeks behind schedule, you decide to wait for the "official" implementation. Sound familiar yet?

So January 21st comes, and we haven't been able to get CI 2 out the door. Now what? Firstly, you get very upset with us. Don't deny it, you would. You probably write all over twitter about us, there are complaints in the forums, etc. You need this feature, and we said it'd be out January 21st, and it isn't. This sets you back a bit, but you keep yourself busy - and on Feb 1st we release CI 2. YES! Now you can finally proceed. Only our Auth system only allows for 1 user to be part of 1 group. You need multiple groups. Our system is built around session-only validation, and you need cookies for a "remember me" feature. Our system has no member-management capabilities. How on Earth could anyone at CodeIgniter not think that should be included? How can they even claim this is an Auth module without member-management???

My point is that even if we give a date, you should plan on using what is available NOW. Even if we commit to a feature, there is no assurance that it is what you need now. Build with what you have available TODAY.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB