Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
when will they release code igniter in php5?

[eluser]fayer[/eluser]
when do u think they will release code igniter in php5?

[eluser]troy_mccormick[/eluser]
Uhh...they already did...

[eluser]fayer[/eluser]
[quote author="troy_mccormick" date="1264572515"]Uhh...they already did...[/quote]

what does this mean then?

Major OS vendors like RedHat are moving slowly to support PHP 5, and they are unlikely to do so in the short term, so we felt that it did not serve the best interests of the PHP community to write CodeIgniter in PHP 5.

Note: CodeIgniter will run on PHP 5. It simply does not take advantage of any native features that are only available in that version.

So what you meant to ask is when CI will be developed for ONLY PHP 5...big difference.

I don't think you have to use the native PHP 5 stuff though...you're going to gain what, .0001 seconds of time? It functions on PHP 5, then has the added ability to work with lots of previous builds of PHP for those that aren't on a state of the art server. I think CI is perfect right where it's at :-)

[eluser]fayer[/eluser]
so i can use ALL the latest PHP 5 functions in CI?

sorry for this noob question..im noob with php=)

Oh yeah...if you're on a PHP5 box, you can use whatever PHP has to offer. CI just isn't coded specifically for PHP 5 is all, which there are pros and cons to, though the pros outweigh the cons IMO...

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
There's nothing stopping you using php 5 specific stuff in a codeigniter project.
The only real downside of CI's php 4 compatibility is the awkward loading of libraries/models etc eg
Code:
//php 4/CI way
$this->load->library('mylib');
$this->mylib->mymethod(); // this just seems awkward to me, my IDE gets confused at this point.

//php 5
$mylib = new mylib();
$mylib->mymethod(); // much better, my IDE provides autocomplete etc
I fully understand why Ellis Labs went down the php 4 compatibility route, there are a LOT of hosting companies out there that are still running php 4

[eluser]Jelmer[/eluser]
@GSV Sleeper Service

What you call the PHP5 (and as such non-CI) way can easily be done within CI, either like this:
Code:
$this->load->library('mylib');
$mylib = new mylib();
$mylib->mymethod();

Or by ommiting the load->library and writing your own __autoload() function that loads libraries/models. As far as I know there's no reason why you can't do that in CI...

[eluser]Sbioko[/eluser]
So, does anybody interested In php5 only version of CI with all php5 native features?

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
@Jelmer, thanks, I never considered trying that. Won't you end up with two instances of the object if you do that though?
I have set up my own __autoload() to replace the CI models with Doctrine models, this works fine.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB