Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Upgrading?

[eluser]iamdadude[/eluser]
Hey guys,

I've been developing PHP for a few years now, and CodeIgniter will be pretty much my first framework I've worked with. I only have a few questions about CodeIgniter, and hoping you guys can answer them.

1. How easy is it to upgrade CI from one version to another?

2. How well does CI scale my apps?

3. Is caching automatic? Are there advanced cache settings?

Thanks for any help, I'm building my first app right now =)

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi iamdadude and welcome to the CI forums.

[quote author="iamdadude" date="1266158864"]
I've been developing PHP for a few years now, and CodeIgniter will be pretty much my first framework I've worked with.
[/quote]

This is a common vector - so you're going to be amongst good company. It's a lightweight framework, so tends to be easier to grasp for 'old school' PHP programmers than, say, heavy setups like Zend.

Quote:1. How easy is it to upgrade CI from one version to another?

Upgrade is an overloaded term. Do you mean an extant project you've written, and put into production, and you want to upgrade it? Or do you mean to adopt a new version for new sites, and cope with / learn the new functionality of the new version?

The former - tends to be a non-issue, as security patches are uncommon (not because they're lazy - but because vulnerabilities are rare - one of the benefits of a lightweight framework). In other words, you tend to leave production systems well alone unless you absolutely have to fiddle with them.

Having said that - go read the user guide, and look at the 'upgrade from previous version' link - to get an idea of what's involved. Generally it's very straightforward (painless, simple, fast, low risk).

Quote:2. How well does CI scale my apps?

Can you re-phrase this question please.

Quote:3. Is caching automatic? Are there advanced cache settings?

I think you should read the user guide's section on caching first, maybe dive into the cache code, and then come back with any questions you still have.

Caching is a Big Subject, and there's several layers of it occurring on your average Apache/MySQL/GNU/Linux box, which can make the subject fairly confusing for new users.

As far as question number 1, all I wanted to know is how easy is it to upgrade the core of CodeIgniter if a new version comes

For #2, does it handle traffic and user growth well?

That's it, thanks!

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="iamdadude" date="1266202643"]As far as question number 1, all I wanted to know is how easy is it to upgrade the core of CodeIgniter if a new version comes
[/quote]

Cool. As I said, it tends to be easy, and you tend to not do it anyway.

Quote:For #2, does it handle traffic and user growth well?

There's various benchmarks floating around on the intergoogles, and I gather (though I am not overly current) that these typically show CI as being one of the faster / less weighty frameworks.

There's also some nice work done by (from memory - one of the original PHP designers) that demonstrates PHP really isn't your bottleneck. The same guy also uses CI over other frameworks - though to be brutally honest, he also says he doesn't use / like (?) frameworks.

Yea I also read that, which is why I stayed away from frameworks for so long. The company I work for now requested that i start using frameworks so that other ciders can quickly pick up where I left off, so that's why I'm starting using CI

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB