Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
block access from region

[eluser]frist44[/eluser]
My application is getting bad data in from Asia. The application allows people to upload pictures. The pictures aren't relevant to what the site it about.

I could review the pictures before they're posted, but we've had great luck up until now. I'm wondering if any one has thoughts about how to enforce this, without having make things go through review?

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
The question is, are these people doing it on purpose (i.e. is it a form of spam), do they mis-use your site as a free image uploading site, or do they not understand the meaning of your site?

The action you should take depends on the answer to these questions. Blocking reasons isn't that easy, not difficult to circumvent, and you also block potential legitimate users.

[eluser]frist44[/eluser]
All valid questions. My guess is that it's spam, although that would be an assumption. If this was the answer, what path would you go down?

[eluser]WanWizard[/eluser]
Spam suggests it's a deliberate action, and therefore difficult to fight.

One step is to allow uploads only for authenticated users, and use a proper registration system (one that sends out verification emails). That will stop some, but not all (see this forum as an example). A next step is to block accounts and/or IP's. That will block the offender, but not it's neighbor.

Use a spam reporting system (like this forum has), so that legitimate users can inform the administrator if they see something. That reduces the work you have looking at all the uploaded images.

If you have a feeling they are automated uploads (p.e. because of a high upload rate), use a good captcha, and limit the upload rate to one image per x minutes, or x images per day.

Reviewing before publication, of screening after publication are also options, but might require quite a bit of time.

And finally you can take drastic measures and block entire cities or countries. For that, you need a GeoIP service. Depending on how granular you want to be, you can use Maxminds free country database, or use their paid service which can give you cities as well. There are some web based alternatives that you could use, but they all limit the amount of requests, and get very angry if you misuse them for validation...

[eluser]frist44[/eluser]
Great advice. Luckily, it's not in high quantities, so I can attack it. I will put several of these things in place and go from there.

Thanks!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB