Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
REST, API - confusion

[eluser]Jay Callicott[/eluser]
We are paying a guy who's doing an image API with rest and initially it was confusing to me. As far as verbs or no verbs probably whatever makes the most sense for you is what I'd go with.

I think REST has low overhead in the way of markup for making requests also it's confusing configuring custom headers if you haven't done that before. Custom headers are simply key/value pairs so it's nice to be able to receive key value pairs in the headers instead of plain text or XML markup but obviously if you need more markup you're going to need XML.

I've alternatively used php 5 web services which are OK but have a lot of markup. The interoperability with other platforms is a concern where REST is 100% platform independent to my knowledge.

I've also used just URI/POST calls for small web services where I was just spitting out HTML and that worked pretty well for me. I didn't need key value pairs and figuring out how to POST data to a URL is easier than figuring out custom headers and whatnot. That method though wouldn't return key/value pairs, just straight HTML or it could have been XML.

My thought is that the whole URI schema of REST is a nice principle and the GET/DELETE/POST commands seem to make sense so long as you know how to customize curl calls.

For simpler needs just handling POST or GET requests and spitting out plain text or XML seems to be easier to implement and more straight forward to me.

Messages In This Thread
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-10-2007, 08:32 AM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-10-2007, 09:11 AM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
REST, API - confusion - by El Forum - 10-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB