Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
restore Codeigniter sourcecode

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
hi all,

advice needed. I am not a developer and have no knowledge of Codeigniter.

PROBLEM: my developer has completed ~90% of a web-based billing system for my site, using codeigniter. Unfinished system is uploaded at a test site (and is available). Developer has disappeared. I don't have his local sourcecode, only the resulting files that are uploaded on a test site.

QUESTION: is it a viable task to finish development without the source files, using only what's uploaded on site?

[eluser]Nick_MyShuitings[/eluser]
If your developer uploaded the latest version of the code (source files) to the server before he disappeared, then it should be feasible to continue from where he left off.

Codeigniter does not have any sort of "compiler" layer, so the files that one uploads to the server, are the same files that you use to develop with. Does that make sense?

[eluser]lennierb5[/eluser]
When you say "is available" does that mean you can download the source of the controllers/models/views? or just view them from your web browser?

If you have the actual source code of what he has coded but not CI itself then you should be able to install CI and put in those files. If you can only view the files through a web browser and have no access to the source code that would really only help you with the view portion of the site.

If a database is used you would also want access to at least the structure as well.

[eluser]Nick_MyShuitings[/eluser]
@lennerb5 - absolutely right... my brain is to hardcoded in programming land, that I assumed "available" meant he can get at the server files... if "available" just means you can see it at www.example.com.... then you are indeed truly screwed unless you can get a hold of a way into the server.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
@Nick_MyShuitings, @lennierb5

thanks a ton. yes i do have access to the server. my question was actually if there are some 'local developer files' and some kind of 'server-side files' that are built by CI for downloading to the site server. so i understand there is no such thing. if i have files on the server available, i can download them to a local machine, install CI, and i'm fully set to continue the development. that makes my situation a whole lot easier Smile

thanks again

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
You can use an FTP program to download them to your system!

InsiteFX

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="shuher" date="1294820370"]
if i have files on the server available, i can download them to a local machine, install CI, and i'm fully set to continue the development.
[/quote]

To clarify - you can download the files from the server - and this will include CI. As in, your erstwhile developer would have bundled his app inside the CI framework - and we can be pretty sure this is the case because you indicated the demo site is functional.

I might suggest the first thing you do once you get a copy of the files (after putting that copy somewhere safe - presumably you've already revoked the credentials the developer was using and hopefully it's not an overly nasty situation between you and them) would be to run [url="http://www.phpdoc.org/"]phpdoc[/url] over your local copy of the system, so you can get a quick / good idea of what level of documentation was maintained within the application.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB