Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Video Tutorials Outdated

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I apologize if this is a repost, but I wanted to bring it to somebody's attention.

I decided to pick up CodeIgniter after failing miserably with Yii. So I downloaded it today and started working through the video tutorials linked on the 'Video Tutorial' tab of the main navigation of this site.

In working through the first video, I realized that it was written for Codeigniter 1.X, and therefore doesn't work with 2.X. The following two issues exist with the first tutorial:

Code:
class Blog extends Controller
is replaced with
Code:
class Blog extends CI_Controller

and

Code:
parent::Controller();
is replaced with
Code:
parent::__construct();

The video is extremely well done, but a newbie (like myself) can and will get confused working through this tutorial.

If an admin could at least note these errata on the first video tutorial page, I'm sure it would save some people a lot of troubleshooting.

I'll make another post after I work through the second video tutorial.

Thanks for your time!

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Here are the errata for the second video tutorial.

Instead of:
Code:
$autoload['core'] = array('database');
We need to modify the libraries array:
Code:
$autoload['libraries'] = array('database');

Also, scaffolding has been deprecated.

Cheers!

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
You also need to rename Model to CI_Model

InsiteFX

[eluser]ktufore[/eluser]
[quote author="InsiteFX" date="1300495279"]You also need to rename Model to CI_Model

InsiteFX[/quote]

Is this referring to the Applications/Models folder or System/Core/Model.php?

[eluser]sanjayibrahim[/eluser]
wrong place...

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Yo jevchance, thank you SOOOOOOOO much man this was driving me crazy! Seriously the videos need to be updated........it took me like an hour of searching on these forums. Thank you for your kind gesture.

Daniel

[eluser]zulubanslee[/eluser]
there should at least be a link to this thread.

[eluser]regal2157[/eluser]
I did offer EllisLab to redo the outdated tutorials they originally supplied to create a blog in 20 minutes. I've currently been passed around to 4 people I believe in the company, and am waiting to hear a response from one Pascal.

Unfortunately though as well, a lot of the video tutorials (including the ones from Jeffery Way) use 1.7.

As long as users are directed to the upgrading 1.7 to 2.x page in the User Guide, it would be truly helpful! Tongue

[eluser]Nick_MyShuitings[/eluser]
Jevchance wins two whole internets to himself for enjoyment purposes!!!!

This is the third post I've seen about the videos, and the only one that was remotely serious, courteous, and intelligent... the first was a complete troll (lol), the second overly melodramatic.

I'm rigging up my new computer this weekend, hopefully I'll start making some tuts/vids that might help.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I too am new to CodeIgnitor. When I found the videos outdated, I was able to find the correct info by looking around. This thread was a great idea!

I think you should go ahead and do those updated tutorials, even if EllisLab isn't behind you on it - just post them somewhere else.

So far, CI looks like a great framework. I had trouble with Yii too. Way more complex than I'm interested in, coming from a Cold Fusion background.

Thanks for posting the corrections!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB