Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
You must be joking

[eluser]@li[/eluser]
Interesting how everyone is blaming me for wanting to upgrade and no one is agreeing that an established convention like this shouldn't have been broken.

[eluser]fesweb[/eluser]
[quote author="@li" date="1301426390"]
2) Is the word 'controller' and 'model' used only as the class names in your project? In mine the word 'Model' is used many times in many places, e.g $this->load->model(). And also, I have several types of Controllers, AdminController extends Controller, CrudController extends Controller, etc, there's no way for me to change this except manually.
[/quote]

$this->load->model() should continue to work just fine.
CI 2.0 Models documentation

[eluser]JonoB[/eluser]
I would be interested to see examples in your code where searches for "extends Controller" and "extends Model" (with the correct capitalisation) does not get the right match.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
Besides there is nothing stopping you from still using CI 1.7.X

Nothing saids that you have to upgrade. But most users on here wanted PHP 5+

InsiteFX

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
[quote author="@li" date="1301428510"]no one is agreeing that an established convention like this shouldn't have been broken.[/quote]

Exactly right.

You might even stick something like:

Code:
class Controller extends CI_Controller { }
class Model extends CI_Model { }

in your code, so your classes which extend Controller and Model continue to function normally.

People are "blaming" (although I'd hardly call it that... reacting to, maybe) you because you are unwilling to take the simple steps necessary to fix the issues caused by the change in convention, and would rather make inflammatory comments on the forums.

[eluser]Dan Horrigan[/eluser]
All right, lets look at your complaints:

1. "It makes coding harder" - Oh really? I didn't know that typing 3 characters was hard.

2. "this breaks backward compatibility big time" - Yes, yes it does. Have you ever used any library/framework that had perfect backwards compatibility on a new MAJOR version? It's not like this was a 1.7.3 to 1.7.4, it is 1.x to 2.x.

3. "are we now expected to go through all our files changing class names?" - If you want to upgrade, then yes.

4. "before making a radical change like this you should consider all the apps that you’ll be breaking" - No they didn't break your app...you did when you decided to upgrade without reading the changelog or upgrade docs.

5. " The apps that a person builds are not part of CodeIgniter" - True. However, your app extends off of CodeIgniter, therefor it makes sense semantically. Tis argument is just plain invalid.

6. "In mine the word ‘Model’ is used many times in many places, e.g $this->load->model()." Yes, this is also true. However, what if you use MY_Model...do you complain that it does not say "Model"? Give me a break.

7. "You realize that not everyone that uses CodeIgniter is on these forums…?" Yup, sure do, except the discussion happened on the Issue tracker on BitBucket. Again, invalid point.

8. "no, doing a broad search/replace like that quite often brings about unexpected bugs which I’m unwilling to deal with" - Ya, if you do the find/replace wrong and/or code horribly. Also, if you are unwilling to deal with unexpected bugs then you made the wrong career choice my friend.

So, lets review, you are complaining about something that a) was discussed prior to being changed; b) very well documented; c) was a MAJOR change on a MAJOR version release; and last, but not least d) causes you to actually do a little work.

How about this: read the docs and listen to your Avatar: "DONT PANIC"

You know...in the time it took you to complain about this, you could have had your app upgraded...

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
LOL @Dan

InsiteFX

[eluser]Zack Kitzmiller[/eluser]
Guys, I upgraded from OS X Panther to Snow Leopard and now I can't get my old AppleScripts to work. What the hell.

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Yo yo yo, I upgraded from WordPerfect to MS Word and I have no clue where the copy button is. WTF GUYS!? HOW DARE YOU?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hey guys,

WTF! I upgraded my 2004 Mazda 3 to a 2009 Mazda 3 and the key stopped working!!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB