Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
You must be joking

[eluser]@li[/eluser]
[quote author="Dan Horrigan" date="1301468603"]All right, lets look at your complaints:
5. " The apps that a person builds are not part of CodeIgniter" - True. However, your app extends off of CodeIgniter, therefor it makes sense semantically. Tis argument is just plain invalid.[/quote]

Its invalid because you don't have any valid answer to it. Do I have to mention CodeIgniter anywhere when loading views? No. Do I have to mention it when loading models? No. Do I have to mention it when loading any library or calling any method of a core library, e.g $this->load->library('ci_upload'); or $this->load->library('ci_img_lib');? No. Is it in any helpers, e.g $this->load->helper('ci_form');? No. Then extending off of CI_Controller and CI_Model simply breaks the established conventions used everywhere else in the framework, and is unintuitive.

The convention used so far is simple, i.e the prefix 'CI' is only used for internal codeigniter classes. Its not used for any class that's accessed outside the 'system' folder. This change has now broken that convention.

[quote author="Dan Horrigan" date="1301468603"]
7. "You realize that not everyone that uses CodeIgniter is on these forums…?" Yup, sure do, except the discussion happened on the Issue tracker on BitBucket. Again, invalid point.[/quote]
That's even more obscure than the forums. If about 40% of CI users hang out on the forums, only around 20-10% of those 40% hang out on 'BitBucket'. In other words, 5-10% of CI users decided such an important issue.

8. "no, doing a broad search/replace like that quite often brings about unexpected bugs which I’m unwilling to deal with" - Ya, if you do the find/replace wrong and/or code horribly. Also, if you are unwilling to deal with unexpected bugs then you made the wrong career choice my friend.[/quote]
If you think its a good idea to willingly introduce unknown bugs in client projects, you have likely made the wrong career choice..and your clients wouldn't be happy if the knew.

So, lets review, you are complaining about something that a) was discussed prior to being changed; b) very well documented; c) was a MAJOR change on a MAJOR version release; and last, but not least d) causes you to actually do a little work.[/quote]

a) Was only discussed in an obscure corner of the internet that barely any users of CI use.
c)I'm happy with major changes like deprecating Php 4, but the problem with this change is that it breaks one of the oldest and most intuitive conventions of CI. Now whereas everywhere else in the framework there is no mention of CodeIgniter anywhere inside application code, in one place there's this blotch of extending from CI_Controller and CI_Model.

You know...in the time it took you to complain about this, you could have had your app upgraded...[/quote]
They are already upgraded, but I just wanted to give my opinion on this in the hopes that in future they'll perhaps think more carefully about the consequences of their decisions.

[eluser]CoolGoose[/eluser]
This is the dumbest thread I ever read in my entire life.

[eluser]moodh[/eluser]
@li: Are you saying that you NEVER extend core classes that already use the CI_ prefix?
Then again since you cant be bothered I guess there's not much code in your app.

Either way, here's actually a nice solution here.
Simply extend the model in the core folder, and have all your models extend that one instead, now there's only one place that says CI_.
Do the same with the controller as having a base controller is quite useful.

Also, this thread is stupid.

[eluser]Kevin Smith[/eluser]
I truly cannot believe I actually read this whole thread. I'm even more astonished that Mr. "Don't Panic!" is repeatedly railing on this thing. Who on earth ignores a measly 8-step upgrade guide for a major version release of the framework that powers his application and upgrades anyway?

[eluser]Mike Chojnacki[/eluser]
Well, at least I have a smile on my face now.
You know when you get a new client, they say they already have a website, and you check the code and the feeling of doom falls upon you. I bet this is the type of person that writes that type of code ^^

[eluser]syntax error[/eluser]
[quote author="Zack Kitzmiller" date="1301470278"]Guys, I upgraded from OS X Panther to Snow Leopard and now I can't get my old AppleScripts to work. What the hell.[/quote]
Build a GUI interface using visual basic.

Smile

[eluser]@li[/eluser]
[quote author="Mike Chojnacki" date="1301502230"]Well, at least I have a smile on my face now.
You know when you get a new client, they say they already have a website, and you check the code and the feeling of doom falls upon you. I bet this is the type of person that writes that type of code ^^[/quote]
I've been using CI since 2006 and I've read many books on good programming, e.g Code Complete, Head First Design Patterns, etc. I'm willing to bet that I write much better code than you.

Its because I know of good coding practices that I'm not happy with this change that has broken the naming conventions used everywhere in CI. Unfortunately, it looks like no one else here has even heard of naming conventions. I'm leaving this thread now, feel free to continue flaming me.

[eluser]InsiteFX[/eluser]
I’ve been using CI since 2006 and I’ve read many books on good programming.

And I have been programming mainframes in cobol since 1987.
Gota love love the Y2K bug I made a fortune on that one $90.00 an hour

Code Complete, Ya my copy is on my bookself behind me.

But I stick to the CodeIgniter coding style now because that is what I am using.

And as far as the CI 2.0 this was a commuity Decision!

InsiteFX

[eluser]Konfine[/eluser]
I upgraded an old clients site today and it took all of 5 minutes, like dan said, in the time it took you to moan about these changes you could have had it done already.

Fail thread.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Some people just like to beat a dead horse...even if it died over a year ago.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB