Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
MVC Design Question - Multiple Models or specific methods?

[eluser]Majd Taby[/eluser]
Hey, Take a look at http://jtaby.com:82/dump/jtaby-frontend.jpg . You'll notice that the page (which corresponds to a controller), pulls data from multiple tables.

There are two ways to do this:

In my model, have methods such as:
loadLast10JournalEntires, loadLast5PluginsByDateAdded, and getLatestStableReleaseInfo

Or i could have the controller load multiple models

Off the top of my head, the first would _probably_ be more efficient, but the latter would be more reusable.

What would you do?

[eluser]gtech[/eluser]
I am writing a large project in CI,

As a matter of preference I tend to group tables in my datamodel together (e.g users, user_lookups) and have a model for each group which would contain all the functions for manipulating the tables (e.g. add_user, delete_user).

sometimes I call multiple models in the controller, but the models are not grouped by controller functionality, more by the way the datamodel is structured.

Somtimes I load a model in a model, for example I have a loggingsdb, which logs all database activity and the user who did the actions, I load this model in the constructor of my other models. Sometimes I may want to make calls to another model without loading it in the constructor, if this is the case you need to make an instance of the CI object [url="http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/63953/"](see thread 63953)[/url].

hope that helps, I had to keep some kind of structure to my tables (I have about 25) as it makes my code easy to follow. other people have different approaches most probably

The benefit I see in that is the fact that it's all more logically grouped. Let's say you change a field in a table, then you only need to modify one file. Which is more maintainable, but on the other hand adds the overhead of loading another model.

What do you guys think?

[eluser]gtech[/eluser]
I see your point, personally if its a large project I think if its not maintainable your going to shoot yourself in the foot, especially if your going to pass it to someone else. A small project might not be such an issue, but then I am not sure overheads will be.

Lets just say CI seems to cope with the way I have structured the code perfectly well. maybe you could do some timings? I don't know if anyone has done any analysis on this (i would be interested to find out)?

yeah, so would i, i'm just too lazy to do it myself (sorry)

i would love some more input on this

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
If a model relates to a single table then it's reuseable with its table in other applications.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB