Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
existing PHP conversion to CI2... any advice?

[eluser]CI2RULZ[/eluser]
If you have an existing website in html/css/php/mysql, what's the correct way to convert this into a codeigniter 2 project?

It seems very simple to create a new website, but I never see much about converting an existing website.

[eluser]gigas10[/eluser]
In my opinion, there is no "correct" way, just rebuild the website/application using CodeIgniter. I recently did this, I had an application that was almost 4 years old, which was written procedurally and with no framework. I just had to rebuild the entire application with CodeIgniter.

The application originally totaled 22,000 lines of code and with CodeIgniter, I wrote only 6,000 lines. You can see how much effort this would have saved me from the beginning. The original write of the application took me 2 weeks, the rewrite took me 3 days. Also, the code is way more maintainable then before.

[eluser]johnpeace[/eluser]
Your HTML is probably all that's really going to survive...and since you're rewriting, you may want to scrap that and start over anyway.

It's like gigas said...there is no real 'conversion' to codeigniter (well, there might be for YOU...but not for your site). You just take the existing app/functionality and duplicate it using CI.

[eluser]gigas10[/eluser]
You should use the rewrite as a time to implement new features and upgrades! Just make sure you test thoroughly.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
This is our way of doing it. You could also take a look at Site Migrate

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB