Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
MySQL question

[eluser]rvent[/eluser]
Hello i am new to CI, but i have been using RoR for a while. I am migrating an application i had made and at the same time i am improving a lot of things with it.

Anyways. I have this table named "Messages" and a second table named "MsgAuthor" and both go like this:
MsgAuthor table:
Code:
CREATE TABLE `MsgAuthor` (
  `Author` varchar(10) NOT NULL,
  `AuthorID` int(3) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`AuthorID`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

Messages Table:
Code:
CREATE TABLE `Messages` (
  `Message` text,
  `MessageID` int(20) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `AuthorID` int(3) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`MessageID`),
  INDEX (`AuthorID`),
  FOREIGN KEY (`AuthorID`) REFERENCES `messageauthor` (`AuthorID`) ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

The problem is that when i do: "INSERT INTO Messages(Message, AuthorID) VALUES('hello', 1)" i get an the following error:
Code:
ERROR 1452 (23000): Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`smt_test/Messages`, CONSTRAINT `Messages_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`AuthorID`) REFERENCES `MsgAuthor` (`AuthorID`) ON DELETE NO ACTION ON UPDATE NO ACTION)

The table MsgAuthor has a record with ID 1.... But for some reason i cant add the new record to the Messages table.

What i want is to have the MsgAuthor contain all 5 Authors and whenever a new Message is created in the Messages Table it mus be associated with any of the existing Authors. This mean that there would be several messages created by 1 Author...

How could i accomplish this... Am i looking at it all wrong..?

I was also looking at the sql script that ships with some CMS and i noticed that they do not use any FOREIGN KEYS on any of their table. Why is that...?

Thanks for any ideas..

[eluser]commissioner[/eluser]
this may or may not be your problem....

FOREIGN KEY (`AuthorID`) REFERENCES `messageauthor` (`AuthorID`) ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTIO...

should the table reference be 'MsgAuthor' ('AuthorID')?

While referential integrity seems to be perceived as "good design", I have never been a fan. Perhaps it is because I have developed in databases before RI was available, but I find some of it's behaviors too restrictive. In almost all of our db designs (that is what I have done for a living for 15+ years) we choose not to employ db-level RI, and instead implement integrity through the application.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB