Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
dev_log improves CodeIgniter development by logging queries to Firebug and/or the CI system log

[eluser]ShawnMcCool[/eluser]
http://heybigname.com/2011/07/16/introdu...r-logging/

CodeIgniter has some basic logging functionality, but using it makes you kind of feel like you’re sticking your hand through a hole in the wall to do the job. Being able to see what is happening while developing gives you the information you need in order to fix errors, spot performance bottlenecks and stay productive. dev_log is a module I created for CodeIgniter 2 that allows developers to see the queries that are executing in their application in real-time. Output can be viewed in the CodeIgniter system log or in Firebug.

There is a video on the site that shows it in use. Please post suggestions / questions below the download link.

[eluser]Eric Barnes[/eluser]
Sorry if I am missing it but is this not the same as the profiler just displayed in firebug?

[eluser]ShawnMcCool[/eluser]
Or in the CI system log. Either way the goal is to be able to have constant connection with the queries being run in the back-end like I've become used to having with Ruby on Rails.

Tweak code to pull up the profiler on a specific part of the site and then go to the bottom of the page to check things etc is good functionality. I've used the profiler quite a bit.

Having constant access to the queries during development sessions is SIMILAR yet not quite the same. I feel like having the extra system transparency is a huge advantage to a developer. The developer becomes far more aware of what the system is actually doing and much less debugging code needs to actually be inserted into the site's code.

After having experience with the Rails dev log I feel like having this kind of functionality is absolutely vital.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB