Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Official "Behind the scenes" - Nov 21, 2007

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
Well, the last post I wrote on this topic is getting a little stale. Just wanted to do another update here. Work continues feverishly. Since my last update there have been 21 separate commits to the SVN repository*. Granted, many are bug fixes or documentation enhancements, but the point I want to make is that we're working away here.

EllisLab just released ExpressionEngine 1.6.1, so the normal course of events is to relax for a few days, then start tinkering again. As you know, we're working on EE 2. This is shaping up to be a major project that will drastically and dramatically push CI forward - I think you'll all be very happy. Code trickles down into CI slowly at times, and then others may gush like a river Wink Last month EllisLab hired another developer, so all signs are that we're ramping up again.

So really, this is just my way of reaffirming that we're still active, growing, and Rick has some bold new visions for the future - only some of which might be the result of mind-altering chemicals.

The community continues to grow, attention continues to mount, and collectively we're ready to keep CI being something special. Thanks to everyone!

Derek

* I wrote a bit about using the repository today on my blog

[eluser]schnoodles[/eluser]
Thats great to know, and brilliant that there is another developer. Smile

[eluser]qwertyqwerty[/eluser]
>> this is shaping up to be a major project that will drastically and dramatically push CI forward

@Derek: Are you able to provide more info about this? Or, comment on how the relationship between Expression Engine and Code Igniter will develop in the future?

[eluser]Michael Wales[/eluser]
Quote:Last month EllisLab hired another developer
Where's my job? Wink

[eluser]Derek Allard[/eluser]
@Ryno. We are working towards re-joining large chunks of ExpressionEngine with CodeIgniter. In order to accomplish this, there are functionalities that need to be added to CodeIgniter. This means means that our developers will be working directly on CodeIgniter enhancements when they work, vs the "trickle down" we see right now. Currently, when any work gets done it is strictly volunteer - like you and everyone here, I donate my time towards CI.

[eluser]qwertyqwerty[/eluser]
Ok, that sounds great. It's highly relevant to my situation as I'm just about to embark on consolidating the content management of over 10 websites for my employer and strong integration between Code Igniter and Expression Engine would greatly influence my decision to choose that combination.

[eluser]AtomicNicholas[/eluser]
Well, this just puts the lock on our decision to go with EE and removing any and all doubts. Now that there'll be a direct connection between CI and EE (instead of the current trickle down effect), we're convinced in going with EE all the way now for the rest of our sites and will be strongly suggesting it for our clients.

Great move.

[eluser]axle_foley00[/eluser]
Great News! Thanks again for keeping us in the loop Derek. Blessings.

[eluser]BoltClock[/eluser]
Sounds great, though I don't use EE :/

Keep going, guys, and congrats on the addition to your team!

[eluser]coolfactor[/eluser]
I really do appreciate the efforts of everyone behind the scenes. I'm a little discouraged by the long stretches between updates lately. A big reason for this is that CI acquired the ability to be extended with custom libraries. I've used this ability to enhance CodeIgniter with much-needed "completeness" for my own sites. More frequent updates to the core would create a more fluid process of keeping my libraries in sync with the core. Longer periods between updates create more rigid changes to the framework. It feels like we're gonna get CI v2.0 rather than v1.5.5, which is very much overdue.

Okay, there's my piece. Smile

Keep up the good work.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB