Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Can you recommend any CI CMS? (Pyro, Ionize, FUEL)

[eluser]gunnarflax[/eluser]
I've been working on my own CMS but understand that it's a whole lot of more work than I first thought. I wonder if any of the preexisting CMS built on codeIgniter is any good? Can you recommend any of the following:

PyroCMS
IonizeCMS
FuelCMS

... or some other?

These are the ones I've read up on but I would like to hear some opinions and pros and cons from the community. Please share your thoughts Smile

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
PyroCMS in my experience is pretty good. However, I have recently been playing with FuelCMS a whole lot more and it's a pretty advanced CMS, a whole lot more to learn than PyroCMS if you want to go changing its internals. Also ask yourself, does it need to be a CI built CMS or do you just need to use something like Wordpress?

[eluser]waynhall[/eluser]
:-)

[eluser]Vheissu[/eluser]
[quote author="waynhall" date="1312266440"]Don't use a CMS. especially not WordPress.

Use contenteditable to edit a page inline, then use $.ajax() to send it to the server.[/quote]

What's wrong with Wordpress? The codebase is pretty hectic with a mix of procedural code and global variables, but it works and the latest version is pretty damn snappy. In-fact, we have a site that gets a few thousand hits daily running on Wordpress.

Pretty much most major sites you probably use on a daily basis are running Wordpress; Techcrunch, Mashable, Smashing Magazine, Net Tuts (the entire Tuts+ network) and quite a few other large mentionable clients.

Anyway, back on topic. Why would you use AJAX to edit content, what's the advantage and how does it relate to the question of what CMS to use?

:lol:

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
[quote author="waynhall" date="1312270213"][quote author="Vheissu" date="1312267888"][quote author="waynhall" date="1312266440"]Don't use a CMS. especially not WordPress.

Use contenteditable to edit a page inline, then use $.ajax() to send it to the server.[/quote]

What's wrong with Wordpress? The codebase is pretty hectic with a mix of procedural code and global variables, but it works and the latest version is pretty damn snappy. In-fact, we have a site that gets a few thousand hits daily running on Wordpress.

Pretty much most major sites you probably use on a daily basis are running Wordpress; Techcrunch, Mashable, Smashing Magazine, Net Tuts (the entire Tuts+ network) and quite a few other large mentionable clients.

Anyway, back on topic. Why would you use AJAX to edit content, what's the advantage and how does it relate to the question of what CMS to use?[/quote]

Don't get me started with what's wrong with WordPress. I am going to start blogging on this topic soon with examples of websites I've created that circumvent the need for a CMS.

Personally, for me it starts with the fact that in the time it takes me to create a single plugin for WordPress, (or modify an existing plugin because it is not compatible with my site), I can create an entire site in CodeIgniter.

CodeIgniter gives me much more control and ease to make strategic changes to websites. In the site I'm working on now, I've included some functionality similar to some of the latest WordPress features: custom post types, galleries, post thumbnails. But coding it from scratch was way easier than trying to "hook" into WordPress.

I suppose it has to do with the type of organization that is running the websites. Most of my clients don't do any more than adding and editing posts and uploading photos. They usually ask me to do any of the administrative backend stuff, so I might as well be making changes to the code instead of logging into the Dashboard.

I will share a screencast at some point to show you what I'm talking about.

Basically, I'm using HTML5's contenteditable attribute, to edit a post right in the webpage. I'm using Canvas, file api, and drag and drop to allow my clients to add images.[/quote]

So because you're not familiar with Wordpress, nobody should use it?

Strange. I made a lot of money building MTV Iggy - powered by Wordpress. We didn't run into any issues, and MTV loves it.

It's not that I'm unfamiliar with it. I am simply a minimalist. I spent over a year banging my head against a wall working with WordPress.

I'm glad you made a lot of money. Hopefully I'll be making a lot of money soon.

:roll:

[eluser]Mirge[/eluser]
[quote author="waynhall" date="1312274487"]See my screencast.[/quote]

First, heirloom tomatoes are awesome.

Second, your screencast is neat, but no where even remotely close to production ready from what I can tell. It's definitely NEAT... but things have to be tried & tested. When you have a huge community around a product (ie: CodeIgniter, Wordpress)... it's naturally far more tested & extended. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, in fact I think you could build that into a pretty great product as well, and I'd love to see what comes of it.

I simply mean that for sites that I build, I need a well-tested, trusted, known solution to start with... and Wordpress fits the bill for me usually. When it doesn't, I use CI Smile.

Is that a project you're actively developing? Or is it for a client? I'd love to track its progress as you continue developing it.

Thanks. This is just a website that I maintain and develop for some friends of mine, in exchange for weekly vegetables.

I'll be reusing the code on future projects for sure, and I'll keep you posted.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB