Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Benefits of active records in codeigniter

[eluser]bleu[/eluser]
will using active records speed up my website(ie. it will get data faster).

If I use escape properly do I need to use active records

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
1) Probably, it depends on how complex your database needs are
2) No, but you will have to do all the escaping by hand, which WILL slow down your coding.

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Active Record will never be as fast as native SQL because its an abstraction layer, so php/CI has to compile the query before it can execute it. However, the speed difference is really only noticed in benchmarks.

[eluser]bleu[/eluser]
[quote author="CroNiX" date="1334112205"]Active Record will never be as fast as native SQL because its an abstraction layer, so php/CI has to compile the query before it can execute it. However, the speed difference is really only noticed in benchmarks.[/quote]

Can I disable Active records if so how? and will it help me if I disable it?

[eluser]CroNiX[/eluser]
Sure you can, but why? Using any framework will be slower than native php. Using OOP is slower than procedural php also. If you're worried about a very, very minor difference in speed you shouldn't be using a framework at all. The benefits of using CI and Active Record FAR outweigh the minor speed differences and probably save 40-60% in development costs. As I said, the speed difference is really only seen in benchmarks. You and your users won't notice it unless you/they are a computer where milliseconds is a long time.

[eluser]smilie[/eluser]
I agree with CroNiX, development time you spare using framework is not quite comparable with the milliseconds in performance. You can always add another 4GB RAM and tweak settings in PHP / MySQL or even enable some mem cache to speed things up.

So, don't worry too much ;-)

Cheers,
Smilie

[eluser]Damon[/eluser]
I need someone to brief me more on this topic. I am finding myself helpless and I can't figure out what on earth is going on in this page. Please, someone elaborate me regarding this topic.

[eluser]Aken[/eluser]
Read the User Guide, and/or ask specific questions.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB