Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI is best for shopping cart ?

(01-04-2015, 08:29 PM)no1youknowz Wrote: I feel really bad for your client.  They don't realise the mess they are going to get.

Wordpress and Codeigniter.  Oh boy.

Do them a favour, code it all in Codeigniter.  At least when the Client can get someone who can do their project justice can attempt something better.

I've moved many clients off wordpress, clients who have done 6-7 figures with their own sites.

WP is just baddddd.   Cool

I am the client, and the decision to use WordPress for product display could not have been better. The product display is done, and done right. I make custom plugins, themes, and know my way around WordPress. Yes, there are a lot of things I don't like about WordPress, but custom post types and custom taxonomies have made the product display easy to maintain. If I didn't know what I was doing I could have probably screwed it up in many ways, but it's damn slick.

Perhaps you feel great about moving many clients off of WordPress, but their websites were probably just typical crap websites like most people build. They probably would have sucked no matter what. Seriously, did it really have anything to do with WordPress?

I've built the whole shebang. All of the theme code, styling, plugins, and everything else is mine. This aint your grandma's WordPress site.

(01-13-2015, 09:18 AM)JohnGeiger Wrote: Wordpress isn't bad as a blog engine. But it's a blog engine. And honestly I like it better than Joomla or Dupal for a blog engine for non coder end users. I agree though I would write the whole thing in CI. If your going to use WP as the store front I would say to use woo commerce or one of the other cart plugins for wordpress, might as well stick in the same framework and it would take less time to modify woo to your needs than to build a whole new cart system and tie it to WP.

Just my opinion,
Geiger

WooCommerce is about the slowest ecommerce solution I've ever had the displeasure of using. Not only is it slow, but it is also terribly confusing for clients to use, many who don't have a lot of time to sit and figure things out. Have you ever actually used WooCommerce? It's bleeping horrendous. Their idea of templating the views is garbage, and I've seen customer websites break just by doing a minor version update. I only use WooCommerce if I encounter extremely cheap clients, and I just need to throw something together in a couple of hours. WooCommerce is almost never a good solution.

Actually, you're whole comment here makes me want to start cussing. WordPress is so much more than a blog engine. If you consider just the custom post types feature combined with custom taxonomies, you quickly have the ability to create a very functional CMS for your clients.

Consider the way many of the newer frameworks are routing. They are using a routes configuration that clearly defines every damn route in the entire application. Do you like this? I actually like the way CodeIgniter routes automatically, but I use a routing technique (basically just rewrite rules) in .htaccess to send some HTTP requests to CodeIgniter, while the rest go to WordPress. How simple is that? I've done this with other frameworks too. It gives me (or my customers) the ease of using the WordPress admin interface, while allowing CodeIgniter to fetch data and display it much faster.

I have made entire ecommerce solutions with CodeIgniter in the past, and that's why I decided to do what I'm doing. I think if you saw some code, and how it really fits nicely together, you might change your mind.

Messages In This Thread
CI is best for shopping cart ? - by adnandogar277 - 12-11-2014, 07:49 AM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by Rufnex - 12-11-2014, 08:32 AM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by skunkbad - 01-03-2015, 01:25 AM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by Jamie - 01-04-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by Jamie - 01-04-2015, 03:27 PM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by skunkbad - 01-15-2015, 02:12 AM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by bclinton - 01-15-2015, 02:06 PM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by skunkbad - 01-16-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: CI is best for shopping cart ? - by musheertm - 09-18-2015, 02:01 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB